The National EMS Safety Council established a new award in 2019 recognizing an organization that has significantly contributed in advancing EMS practitioner and/or patient safety.
Along with this year’s award sponsor, REV Group Inc, it is an honor to announce Butler County EMS of El Dorado, Kansas, as the first recipient of the Council’s National Safety in EMS Award.
Butler County EMS was selected based on demonstrated achievement in advancing the strategy for a National EMS Culture of Safety, utilizing proactive leadership to inspire all EMS personnel to practice safe work habits and actively advocating for EMS Safety.
The agency has implemented and successfully executed several strategies to support an EMS Culture of Safety, and improve patient and practitioner safety, including:
- Adopting high visibility clothing and fluorescent waistband stripes for their crew.
- Enhancing exterior ambulance design, fluorescent markings and graphics for improved visibility.
- Upgrading to ambulances to center crew and equipment around the patient.
- Adding child-size restraints to ambulances to safely transport younger patients.
- Placing speed restrictions on all ambulances.
- Implementing an injury prevention program into the agency’s daily routine, workplace and operational safety program, and peer support services.
- Supporting community safety with car seat safety checks and a fall prevention program for seniors.
Representing Butler County EMS to receive the award were EMS Director and Chief Frank Williams and Public Outreach & Education Director Stuart Funk.
The National EMS Safety Council is a coalition of 15 national EMS and safety organizations committed to ensuring that patients receive emergency and mobile healthcare with the highest standards of safety and promoting a safe and healthy work environment for all EMS practitioners.
Also on stage were retired Brigadier General Dr. Craig Manifold, representing the American Council of Emergency Physicians (ACEP); Matt Zavadsky, president and representing the National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians (NAEMT); Tim Leitnaker, Regional Sales Manager with American Response Vehicle; and Randy Barr, brand manager of American Emergency Vehicles/REV Group Inc.