Administration and Leadership, News

AMR Employees Vote to Accept Offer in Western Massachusetts

Above logo, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. — American Medical Response (AMR) employees in Western Massachusetts will receive an immediate pay increase after employees voted in favor of the market adjustment offered by AMR last week.

Effective immediately, EMTs will receive an average 11.53 percent pay increase, and paramedics receive an average 11.86 percent pay increase. Combined with the 2.5 and 2.75 percent pay increases that went into effect on July 1, EMTs and paramedics will now make, on average, 14 and 14.6 percent more than they did on June 30, 2019.

Previous Coverage: Staff Protest Outside AMR Offices in Springfield, Mass.

Previous Coverage: AMR Pushes Back Against Low Wage Claims in Massachusetts

Patrick Pickering, regional director for AMR, said he is pleased with the outcome of the vote and is excited for the employees.

“As we stated in a press conference last week, we care about providing outstanding service to the residents of Springfield, and about our AMR employees who provide that care,” Pickering said.

Pickering noted that the City of Springfield and the EMS Commission acknowledged that AMR response times exceeded the standards set forth by the city.

“We have always provided excellent care with excellent response times, and this mid-contract wage increase will allow our employees to continue focusing their attention on that care,” Pickering said.

The current union contract runs through June 2020, but in connection with the wage increase the parties have agreed to extend it through December 31, 2020.