News, Trauma

Utah Mechanic Critically Burned in Shop Fire

A South Salt Lake mechanic remained in critical condition Tuesday, the day after he was burned in a gasoline fire at his shop.

South Salt Lake Deputy Fire Chief Terry Addison said the man was working on vehicle on a lift about 3 p.m. Monday when fuel leaked and pooled around his feet. Fumes from the gasoline were ignited by a nearby space heater, engulfing the mechanic in flames.

Firefighters and paramedics rushed to the shop, at 166 E. 3825 South, doused the flames and rendered first aid to the victim before rushing him to the hospital.

Addison said the man, whose identity was not released, suffered burns of varying degrees to 50-75 percent of his body.

Fire damage to the shop and its contents was estimated at $25,000.

[email protected]

Twitter: @remims