News

Explosion Injures Pennsylvania Man

A man was injured in an apparent explosion Friday outside a Monroeville home.

Don Coy of Restano Heating, Plumbing and Cooling was working across the street on an air-conditioning unit at Monroeville Christian Church on Northern Pike when he heard a loud bang. He felt the church roof, where he was working, shake.

First responders arrived within minutes of his 911 call, Coy said.

Jason Sonafelt, deputy chief of Volunteer Fire Company No. 1, said firefighters received a report of an explosion at the house across the street from the church about noon.

Bob Williams, who lives in the house, was transported to AHN Forbes Hospital. Jesse Miller, a hospital spokesman, said Williams was in fair condition that afternoon.

“From what he told us, (Williams) was in the garage when it happened,” Sonafelt said.

He declined to speculate on the cause of the explosion before the conclusion of an investigation by the Allegheny County Fire Marshal’s Office.

Gideon Bradshaw is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at [email protected]