Between 1999 and 2010, 5,149 people died from unintentional poisoning in the United States from the silent killer. This silent killer is deadly. It’s colourless, odourless, tasteless and is also known as carbon monoxide.
Carbon monoxide can kill at home, at work or even on a summer holiday.
But the symptoms of carbon monoxide often go unnoticed. Faulty heaters, HVAC systems and furnaces can all cause poisoning as well as power outages during severe weather, such as Hurricane Katrina.
For emergency services, tools such as non-invasive CO monitoring kits have proven to be vital in diagnosing and assessing levels of carbon monoxide in the blood. Additionally, firefighters, who are at increased risk of CO exposure can also benefit from this form of prehospital detection.
Carbon monoxide poses a very dangerous health risk to children, animals, adults and emergency services alike so the new site has been designed with this in mind – to create a visual, interactive, educational resource which can hopefully end incidents of carbon monoxide poisoning and save lives.
For more information, please visit www.thesilentkiller.co.uk
Contact: Anna Gillespie