News, Patient Care

Carbon Monoxide Sickens Eight in Pennsylvania Apartment

Eight people became ill from an apparent carbon monoxide leak Monday at an apartment complex in Baldwin Borough, authorities said.

The calls for fire and medical personnel came from the apartment buildings on Wolfe Drive about 10 a.m., according to Allegheny County 911 supervisors.

Peoples Natural Gas spokesman Barry Kukovich said the utility company’s technicians found that a water heater and two boilers at the Westminster Towers apartment building were giving off carbon monoxide, so they were shut off and tagged for maintenance.

Westminster Management opened vacant apartments elsewhere to people displaced by the leak, and the Red Cross of Southwestern Pennsylvania provided cots for 18 adults and six children so they would have a place to sleep, said Red Cross spokesman Kevin Brown. He said residents could go back into their apartments for clothes, bedding and personal belongings but couldn’t stay during the repairs.

Eight people went to UPMC Presbyterian in Oakland. Westminster officials could not be reached for comment.

Matthew Santoni is a staff writer for Trib Total Media.