News, Patient Care

Eight Hospitalized in Pittsburgh Daycare CO Incident

Five toddlers and three adults were hospitalized this afternoon after becoming ill from carbon monoxide fumes at a North Side day care center, according to authorities.

Employees at the Community Preschool and Nursery in the 100 block of East North Avenue called 911 shortly after 2 p.m. after several people complained of dizziness, headaches and nausea, said Richard Linn, a Pittsburgh EMS district chief.

An emergency physician and paramedics checked the carbon monoxide levels in the blood of people in the building and administered oxygen to victims at the scene before deciding that levels were high enough for some that they should be treated at a hospital. Three of the children were taken by ambulance  to Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC. Two other kids were taken to Children’s by private vehicles. The adults were able to walk the half block to Allegheny General Hospital, Linn said.

The cause of the potentially deadly carbon monoxide leak was pinpointed to the furnace in the daycare center’s building, Linn said.

The gas company suspended service to the building so repairs can be made.