News, Patient Care, Trauma

Indiana Boy Burned During Marshmallow Roast

CHESTERTON, Ind. – Police say a plastic bottle filled with gasoline exploded after it was tossed into a fire pit, badly burning a boy who was attending a birthday party in northwestern Indiana.

Chesterton police say the 12-year-old boy suffered second-degree burns to his head, neck and arm. About six children ages 8 to 15 were roasting marshmallows around the fire Sunday night, with one of them squirting gasoline from the bottle to keep the fire going.

A police report said that after a small fire flared up, a party equipment business employee tossed the bottle into the pit and told the children stay away. The bottle exploded shortly after the workers left.

Popo’s Parties owner Danielle Popovich says the children were unattended and her employees didn’t know gasoline was in the bottle.