News

One Dead, Three Injured in Indiana Well Rescue

MUNCIE, Ind. – Delaware County Emergency Management tells 24-Hour News 8 that four men, including two firefighters, had to be pulled from a 10-foot-deep well after being overcome by muriatic acid. The Muncie Star Press newspaper is reporting that at least one of the men died.

The incident was reported to police around 8:30 p.m.

Emergency management says a plumber was working on a well near a home located on Centennial between County Club and Hill streets just east of Muncie when he passed out from the fumes. Another man tried to rescue the plumber and was also overcome by the fumes.

Then, two off duty Liberty Township firefighters suffered the same fate while trying to rescue the two men already in the well, according to emergency management, and all four men were unconscious when emergency crews pulled them from the well.

Emergency management says the fumes were muriatic acid. They add that crews have taken steps to neutrilize the fumes to keep them from spreading.

The Muncie Fire Department confirms that the four men were taken to Ball Memorial Hospital. The department was not able to give any information on the condition of the victims.

This is a developing story. More information will be added as it becomes available.