WORCESTER, Mass. — An Oxford man charged with raping and indecently assaulting a Southbridge woman has been acquitted after a jury trial.
A 12-member Worcester Superior Court jury deliberated for about two hours Thursday before finding Anthony K. Worster not guilty on charges of indecent assault and battery and two counts of rape. Mr. Worster, 40, of 18 Maple Ave., Oxford, formerly worked as a firefighter-paramedic in Oxford and Charlton.
Known to the woman, Mr. Worster was accused of entering her home uninvited on July 25, 2007, and sexually assaulting her after questioning her about text messages he believed she had sent him.
Mr. Worster testified that he and the woman engaged in consensual sex.
In his opening statement to the jury, Mr. Worster’s lawyer, Christopher P. LoConto, said his client was working as a paramedic in the Dedham area at the time of his arrest. Mr. Worster told the jury from the witness stand that he had been unable to find work as a paramedic because of the charges pending against him, according to Mr. LoConto.
“He’s happy to be vindicated, and he hopes to be able to resume his career,” Mr. LoConto said of Mr. Worster.