A staph scare in the Capital Region sparks concern, after a rare strain finds it way into the system of a local rescue worker! And NEWS10 has learned the Troy firefighter and EMT most likely contracted the illness while caring for sick or injured people.
The bacteria is known as “MRSA” – a drug-resistant staph infection. It is a bacteria that is usually carried on the skin or nose of healthy people. Approximately 30-percent of the U.S. population has some kind of staph bacteria living in their nose. And the tricky thing about MRSA is that there are no obvious first symptoms.Read full story