The former chief, who is black, said white firefighters with generational ties to the department largely have been less accepting of the job's evolving responsibilities, particularly an increased emphasis in recent decades on providing pre-hospital care.
Nearly five years after Hurricane Katrina exposed serious flaws in the nation's disaster-response capabilities, e-mails obtained by the AP under Florida's open-records law show state and federal officials squabbling over where to send patients while an epic humanitarian crisis unfolded hundreds of miles to the south.
D.C. Police Chief Cathy Lanier says a criminal investigation is under way into a senior paramedic's decision not to transport a 2-year-old girl who later died.
Thousands of police officers, firefighters and construction workers who put in time at the 16-acre site in lower Manhattan had filed lawsuits against the city, claiming it sent them to ground zero without proper protective equipment.
- Patient Safety
- Bringing The Hospital To The Patient
- Critical Factors in Enhancing Provider & Patient Safety
- Rethinking Ambulance Design & Response Time Standards
- Less Safe Than a U-Haul Trailer
Ambulance Innovations from Europe
EMS provider roles around the world differ, and so do the vehicles we use to transport patients... Watch On-Demand
EMS Airway Clinic
Controlling compressible hemorrhage is the highest medical priority for improving survival in trauma cases. Now there is a new, simple and effective tool that will transform the way bleeding, particularly difficult-to-control bleeding, is managed in the field: the iTClamp50.
Medic says Iron County Ambulance violates state standards.
Watch It >
Leg access using the EZ-IO.
Watch It >
VividTrac, affordable high performance video intubation device.
Watch It >
Featured Now on JEMS.com
- Dozens Injured in Bus Crashes across California
- Collapse at London Theater
- 28-Year-Old Cardiac Arrest Survivor Meets EMS Personnel Who Helped Save Him
- Coast Guard Officer Dies from November Rescue Injuries
- Shooting at Renown Medical Center Campus in Reno
- Blind Man and Guide Dog Struck by NYC Subway Train