SARATOGA SPRINGS -- A 30-year-old Saratoga Springs man died Tuesday hours after ingesting a hazardous substance, and two dozen people at the health clinic where he went for treatment were quarantined, officials said.
Intermountain Healthcare spokeswoman Janet Frank said the man apparently ingested selenomethionine at his job.
"We know that he was at work in Payson, where the exposure occurred," Frank said.
The man's place of work could not be confirmed, and his name was not released.
Frank said the man went home, changed his clothes, then went to the nearby InstaCare clinic because he wasn't feeling well. He later died at a hospital or on the way.
Frank says the clinic was shut down and 24 people there were quarantined. She says eight of them were being decontaminated in a tent on the clinic site. She says none complained of feeling ill.
"The responders do want to talk to the eight before they let the others go," she said. "I don't know of anyone else that should be worried (about) exposure."
She said it's unclear when the clinic will reopen.
Frank said early reports indicated that the man inhaled the substance but she could not confirm that.Related JEMS Training Content: