It's a parent's worst nightmare: The babysitter calls. The 3-year-old is choking on a grape. Paramedics are working on her.
By the time Cindy and Frank Smith answered their phones on July 16 and began racing home, their daughter Kayla's life was already in the hands of five Keller paramedics.
The Heimlich maneuver wasn't working. Her numbers were plummeting. They were running out of options.
"The girl was dying," said Keller Fire Chief Daniel Gaumont.
They flipped her upside down, and could see the grape. "But it's gone down below the vocal cords," Gaumont said. "It's stuck there in her windpipe. It's moving up and down as she's trying to breathe."Read More Keller paramedics to be recognized for saving a 3-year-old who choked on a grape