Wednesday, August 22, 2007
- A combination of color and design maximizes traffic safety visibility. Exterior visibility is increased through the use of Reflexite material to„create a traffic directional chevron on the rear of the ambulance and on the hood of the unit. European design silhouette markings add to increased nighttime traffic recognition.
- Red, white and amber LED exterior lighting with clear lenses are„programmed and positioned in distinctive combinations. The emergency lighting system provides a uniquely different response and with ˙on-sceneÓ mode flash and light color patterns that address moving and stopped ambulance traffic safety concerns. The vehicle also provides 360_„on-scene, high-intensity work lighting.„
- A transverse compartment is located in the forward portion of the ambulance body, designed to provide access to long boards and other„immobilization and patient handling equipment from either side of the vehicle, reducing the exposure and risk of EMTs and paramedics to moving traffic.„„
- A dedicated exterior safety compartment houses traffic cones, flares, rescuer tool bags, barrier tape and MCI„equipment.
- Driver- and passenger-side compartments are equipped with a full complement of personal protective equipment, including hand tools, SCBA, WMD equipment,„personal body armor, personal floatation devices, turnout gear, hand lights and fire extinguishers.
- The biohazard cleaning supplies compartment is above the rear-step bumper.
- The air-ride suspension system kneels when the rear doors are opened to assist crews in loading and unloading patients.
- A retractable hydraulic step under the curbside patient compartment door activates when the door is opened, with an additional interior step that eases access when entering and exiting the ambulance.„„
- A curbside five-point attendant restraint system incorporated into a sliding seat enhances access to patients and room for„EMS supplies, interior environmental„controls and communication equipment.
- All sharp edges are now eliminated„and/or padded.
- All equipment is secured in special brackets or compartments.
- Flat-panel LCD display provides a ˙driver_s windshield view,Ó while the patient care provider is secured in a seated position.„
- The rearview mirror has a dual camera„feature that allows the driver to monitor patient compartment activities when the ambulance is moving forward, and exterior (rear) images, obstacles and audible sounds whenever the vehicle is placed in reverse. This feature complements a spotter„whenever the vehicle is being backed up.
- A DriveCam system captures video and audio, both inside and outside the vehicle, when there_s a sudden stop, sharp turn or any other jarring movement.„„
Paul Shiring, EMT-P, is shift lieutenant for Baldwin EMS in Pittsburgh. He has been involved in EMS for more than 14 years. Contact him at email@example.com.