NIAGARA FALLS, N.Y. (WIVB) - Gaskill Prep School in Niagara Falls has been evacuated due to what officials are describing as a "chlorine cloud" in the swimming pool area of the building.
A custodian apparently poured chlorine into the wrong place for the pool filter, causing a chlorine cloud to form in the basement of the school. The smell of bleach was reportedly overwhelming.
Two maintenance workers were taken by ambulance to Niagara Falls Memorial Medical Center. So far, there is no word on their condition. All the students and staff were evacuated from the building.
As a safety precaution, students and school staff have been evacuated to pre-arranged evacuation sites. Gaskill is closed for the remainder of the day. A spokesperson for Niagara Falls City Schools tells News 4, students will either be bussed or released, once parents are contacted.