FAIRFAX Va. (WJLA) - More than three dozen students staying at George Mason University during a summer camp program are being evaluated for possible food poisoning after falling ill Wednesday night and Thursday morning, officials say.
Fairfax City and County Fire officials say that they responded to the George Mason campus early Thursday morning on reports of the sick students, who are participating in a week-long program affiliated with the Congressional Awards Foundation.
University spokesman Dan Walsch says that EMS crews are evaluating at least 40 students for what may be a widespread case of food poisoning.
Officials tell ABC 7 that the students, some of whom traveled from outside the D.C. area to attend the camp, ate at a banquet on Wednesday night and at a restaurant on Capitol Hill before going to a Washington Nationals game. Some of the students began getting sick at the baseball game.
Many of the students are quarantined inside the dormitory where they're staying, while officials say others have been either taken to area hospitals for treatment or being treated on the scene.
ABC 7's John Gonzalez contributed to this report.