MARIN, Calif. -- A family of four poisoned by carbon monoxide fumes from a faulty heater at their Point Reyes Station home was doing fine Monday morning after being whisked to Marin General Hospital by county paramedics.
The parents, along with their son and daughter, thought they had the flu for the past three days as all suffered from flu-like symptoms, but when the two children became listless Monday morning the parents called 911 and were told by a dispatcher to get out of the house.
Marin County fire Capt. Rick Wonneberger said fire personnel took the four to Marin General shortly after 9 a.m. Monday "where they are doing well."
A faulty propane wall heater was to blame, he said, adding a landlord was fixing it and installing carbon monoxide detectors.
"They got sick," he said. "They had flu-like symptoms for three days and it got progressively worse."
Monday morning, "the kids were not acting normally, they weren't responding and were very sleepy," Wonneberger said.
That's when the parents decided to call for help, and just in time, because carbon monoxide poisoning can be deadly.