SOUTHFIELD, Mich. - Southfield Lathrup High School was evacuated Tuesday morning because of an explosion in a chemistry classroom.
Southfield Public Schools Deputy Superintendent Ken Siver said 11 students and the school's assistant principal were being check by health professionals after an experiment went awry and produced noxious fumes.
He said students were working with a potassium nitrate and sugar mixture when it exploded and blew a hole in a ceiling tile.
The school was evacuated and has been let out for the day.
Stay with Local 4 News and ClickOnDetroit.com for updates to this developing story.
Copyright 2011 by ClickOnDetroit.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.