EMTs Robert Fredette and Andres Miranda from Station 4 were on lunch break at around 2 a.m. on Dec. 20, when they decided to go to McDonald's on Cliff and Fulton streets in Manhattan.
Immediately when they walked in the door, their carbon monoxide (CO) meters started ringing, showing levels of 120 p.p.m. (they evacuate at 35 p.p.m.). They went back outside, to shut off the meters, and reentered the restaurant, again receiving the high reading.
They called dispatch and asked for the local fire company to respond as they evacuated approximately 10 people from the store. Luckily, the pair had found the condition in before any of the employees or patrons showed any symptoms, and none needed treatment.
EMT Fredette said at one point he walked up a few steps to go to the upstairs portion of the restaurant and his meter went over the limit. "I've never had that happen before, to that level," he said.
When asked how it felt to know the saved many lives, EMT Fredette said, "It feels great; they could have gotten really sick or died. It's nice to know we could help."