Two people have been killed and at least 17 others hurt in shootings across the city since Friday afternoon, including a man who was killed when gunfire erupted on the outbound Dan Ryan Expy. early Sunday.
About 1 a.m., three people were in a vehicle on southbound Interstare 94 just south of 71st Street when two of them were hit by bullets. Fredrick Taylor, 27, of Riverdale, was shot and pronounced dead about 3:15 a.m. at Advocate Christ Medical Center in Oak Lawn, according to the Cook County medical examiner's office. A woman was shot in the chest. She was being treated at Christ, Illinois State Police said. A second man in the vehicle was not hurt. The circumstances surrounding the shooting were not yet clear, state police said.
The second deadly shooting this weekend happened about 12:30 a.m. Saturday on the West Side. Two people were shot in the 3400 block of West Lake Street, near the Green Line L tracks and Garfield Park - not far from a passing ambulance, authorities said.
The ambulance was westbound on Lake Street at the time, as some people were crouching down for cover, said Larry Langford, a Chicago Fire Department spokesman. As the paramedics got closer, they heard gunshots and realized they were approaching crossfire, authorities said. They ducked and got to a safe place before calling for police backup, Langford said.
One person was shot in the head, and another was shot in the chest, Langford said. The paramedics who saw the shooting, with help from a second ambulance crew, took them to Stroger Hospital. Jeremiah Moore, 24, who had been shot in the head, died there at 11:42 p.m., according to the Cook County medical examiner's office. The person shot in the chest, a male thought to be in his late teens or early 20s, was critically injured, authorities said.
Other violence reported across the city:
* A 32-year-old man was shot in the hand in the 4000 block of West Washington about 3:40 a.m. Sunday, according to Chicago Police News Affairs Officer Amina Greer. He was taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, Greer said.
* A 23-year-old man was shot twice in the left thigh in the 6500 block of South Loomis about 9 p.m. Saturday, Chicago Police said. He was taken to Stroger Hospital in good condition, police said.
* A 30-year-old man was shot in the leg about 2:20 p.m. Saturday in the 700 block of North Menard, police said. He drove himself to West Suburban Medical Center in Oak Park, where he was listed in good condition.
* Two men shot about 4 a.m. Saturday in the 3800 block of West 28th Street in the Little Village neighborhood. One man shot in the leg and the other in the foot.
* A 23-year-old man was shot in the buttocks about 12:05 a.m. Saturday in the Roseland neighborhood, police said. The man was standing in a backyard in the 10600 block of South Lafayette when a man approached and opened fire, police said. The injured man was taken to Roseland Hospital.