Hurricane Irene has led to the deaths of at least 37 people in 11 states:
- In Prospect, 89-year-old Charlotte Levine was killed early Sunday when a falling tree limb pulled power lines onto her house and started a fire.
- In Bristol, 46-year-old Shane Seaver died after he and another man went canoeing down a flooded street and the canoe capsized. Seaver's body washed ashore late Sunday in Plainville.
- In Hockessin, New Castle County Police found the bodies of two men who had sent a text message to a friend saying that they were running through Irene during the height of the storm.
- In Volusia County, 55-year-old Frederick Fernandez died Saturday off New Smyrna Beach after he was tossed off his board by massive waves caused by Irene.
- In Flagler County, 55-year-old tourist James Palmer of New Jersey died Saturday in rough surf.
- In Queen Anne's County, Md., 85-year-old Anne Bell was killed when a tree knocked a chimney through the glass roof of the sunroom where she was sitting.
- In Southbridge, 52-year-old public works employee Richard Gorgone was electrocuted Monday morning when he touched a railing on his front porch that had become electrified by downed power lines, officials said.
NEW JERSEY: 6
- Michael Kenwood, an emergency medical technician, died of injuries after being knocked over by floodwaters in Princeton.
- Celena Sylvestri, 20, of Quinton, called her boyfriend and then 911 early Sunday seeking help getting out of her flooded car in Pilesgrove, police said. Her body was found eight hours later in the vehicle, about 150 feet off the road, police said.
- The body of Ronald Dawkins, a 47-year-old postal worker, was found about two hours after he abandoned his partially submerged vehicle early Sunday and stepped into a hidden drainage creek, Kearny police said.
- Scott Palecek, 39, was walking in Wanaque when a pipe broke loose and swept him away in floodwaters Sunday, police said.
- The body of Jorge Hernandez, 25, of Point Pleasant Beach, was found Monday morning in a Manasquan River inlet jetty. Authorities think he might have gone there to watch the storm.
- The body of another man was found in Manasquan River inlet in Point Pleasant Beach on Monday afternoon. His identity was not immediately determined.
NEW YORK: 6
- Rozalia Gluck, 82, of Brooklyn, drowned in a cottage in the Catskills community of Fleischmanns that was swamped by floodwaters from a nearby creek.
- A man in his 50s was electrocuted in Spring Valley when he tried to help a child who had gone into a flooded street with downed wires.
- Sharon Stein, 68, drowned in a creek as she and her husband were evacuating their New Scotland home Sunday afternoon, state police said.
- Police in Suffolk County say 68-year-old Joseph Rocco of East Islip drowned while windsurfing in Bellport Bay.
- One man died after his inflatable boat capsized on the Croton River, police said.
- The body of 68-year-old Jose Sierra, of the Bronx, was pulled out of the water at a marina Sunday afternoon. He accidentally drowned, authorities said.
NORTH CAROLINA: 6
- Katherine Morales Cruz, 15, of Manassas Park, Va., died Saturday afternoon after the SUV carrying her and family members collided with another SUV at an intersection where Hurricane Irene had knocked out power to traffic lights, Goldsboro Police Capt. Theresa Chiero said Monday. The accident happened around 4:15 p.m., hours after the storm's effects began lashing eastern North Carolina. Cruz was one of four family members thrown from the vehicle; the family was returning to northern Virginia from Myrtle Beach, S.C.
- Ricky Webb, 63, who lived on a Nash County farm near Nashville, was killed after a tree limb fell on him outside his home Saturday morning, said Capt. Pat Joyner of the Nash County Sheriff's Office. Webb's wife reported that he woke up about 5:30 a.m. to go outside and feed his horse as outer bands from the storm brought near hurricane-force gusts inland. He was dead when deputies arrived about 10:15 a.m., Joyner said.
- Tim Avery, 50, was found sitting in a chair facing the television after strong winds toppled a tree onto his Ayden home, Town Manager Adam Mitchell said Monday. A family member checked on Avery on Sunday and found the tree on the house in the Pitt County town.
- In Pitt County, a man died in a traffic accident after his SUV went off a road and twice slammed into trees early Saturday as Irene's center began to make landfall. Jose Manuel Farabia Corona, 21, of Dover, was killed as he drove along County Home Road, State Highway Patrol 1st Sgt. Marvin Williams said Monday. Troopers aren't certain what caused Corona's SUV to leave the road, Williams said. A Highway Patrol spokesman had earlier said the vehicle hit standing water on the road.
- Sabrina Anne Jones, 26, of Clinton, died when a tree fell on a car carrying her, her husband and their young daughter Saturday afternoon in Sampson County, a Highway Patrol spokeswoman said.
- New Hanover County deputies on Sunday afternoon recovered the body of Melton Robinson Jr., who had been missing since falling or jumping into the Cape Fear River as storms from Irene reached North Carolina on Friday night.
- Michael Scerarko, 44, was killed Sunday when a tree fell on him in his yard.
- A 58-year-old Harrisburg man was killed Sunday morning when a tree toppled onto his tent, state police said.
- A man in a camper was crushed by a tree in northeastern Pennsylvania's Luzerne County, officials said.
- A motorist was killed on the Pennsylvania Turnpike when he lost control of his car during the storm in Carbon County, skidded over an embankment and hit a tree.
- The body of 64-year-old Patricia O'Neill, of East Norriton, was discovered Sunday afternoon in the Wissahickon Creek, around a half-mile from where her car was found in the flooded waterway.
- Rutland Water Treatment Plant Supervisor Michael Garofano Sr. had been checking Sunday afternoon on a water system intake. His body was recovered Monday. His 25-year-old son, Michael Garofano Jr., had been with him and was still missing.
- A body recovered from the Deerfield River is believed to be that of a woman who fell in while watching flooding in Wilmington.
- Newport News authorities reported that 11-year-old Zahir Robinson was killed when a tree crashed through his apartment.
- In Brunswick County, a tree fell across a car Saturday afternoon, killing 67-year-old James Blackwell of Brodnax.
- Chesterfield County police say a man died at a Hopewell hospital Saturday after a tree fell on a house he was in.
- A King William County man, 57-year-old William P. Washington, was killed when a tree fell on him as he was cutting another tree Saturday night.