ATTLEBORO, Mass. - Fire officials say a Massachusetts woman who fell onto a yellow jackets' nest in her yard was stung more than 500 times.
Capt. Tim Birch says firefighters used a carbon dioxide chemical fire extinguisher to blast the swarm of insects away Sunday, but it wasn't enough. Three firefighters were treated for stings.
Birch tells The Sun Chronicle that even paramedics and emergency room personnel at Sturdy Memorial Hospital had to fight off the yellow jackets. He says the 53-year-old victim remains hospitalized. He did not have further information on her condition.
Firefighters went back to the Attleboro home to look for the hive but couldn't find it. They believe it is underground.
Information from: The Sun Chronicle, http://www.thesunchronicle.com