CHARLESTON, SC (WCSC) - Fire officials say the College of Charleston Science Center had to be evacuated after a student's experiment caused a gas to form Friday afternoon.
According to the Charleston Fire Department, a student was performing an experiment and added too much water to a chemical causing a reaction which caused a gas to form. Authorities say that the gas could be toxic if inhaled.
There are no reports of injuries. The city hazmat team is working with the College of Charleston and a crew will enter the building to access the situation.
Officials say once the chemical cools down, the building will be back to normal.
Copyright WCSC 2011. All rights reserved.