Indiana Boy Burned During Marshmallow Roast - News - @ JEMS.com


Indiana Boy Burned During Marshmallow Roast

12-year old boy suffered second-degree burns to the head, neck and one arm.


 
 

| Wednesday, June 16, 2010


CHESTERTON, Ind. - Police say a plastic bottle filled with gasoline exploded after it was tossed into a fire pit, badly burning a boy who was attending a birthday party in northwestern Indiana.

Chesterton police say the 12-year-old boy suffered second-degree burns to his head, neck and arm. About six children ages 8 to 15 were roasting marshmallows around the fire Sunday night, with one of them squirting gasoline from the bottle to keep the fire going.

A police report said that after a small fire flared up, a party equipment business employee tossed the bottle into the pit and told the children stay away. The bottle exploded shortly after the workers left.

Popo's Parties owner Danielle Popovich says the children were unattended and her employees didn't know gasoline was in the bottle.



Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Connect: Have a thought or feedback about this? Add your comment now
Related Topics: News, burns

What's Your Take? Comment Now ...

Buyer's Guide Featured Companies

Featured Careers & Jobs in EMS

Get JEMS in Your Inbox

 

Fire EMS Blogs


Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

 

EMS Airway Clinic

Improving Survival from Cardiac Arrest Using ACD-CPR + ITD

Using active compression-decompression CPR with an ITD has been shown to improve 1-year survival from cardiac arrest by 33%.
More >

Multimedia Thumb

Philadelphia Fire Department Apologizes for Medic’s Jab at Police

Union head calls photos a slap in the face of officers.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

D.C. Fire and EMS Crews Blame New Technology for Patient’s Death

Delayed response blamed on recurring dispatch problems.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Suspect Steals, Crashes Maryland Ambulance

One killed, others injured in Prince George’s County crash.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Tennessee Trench Rescue

Worker pulled from Roane County worksite.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Time’s Ebola Firefighters

Doctors, nurses and others saluted for fighting virus.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Car Strikes Manhattan Pedestrians

Seven people hurt when car jumps curb.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Field Bridge Xpress ePCR on iPad, Android, Kindle Fire

Sneak peek of customizable run forms & more.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

LMA MAD Nasal™

Needle-free intranasal drug delivery.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

VividTrac offered by Vivid Medical - EMS Today 2013

VividTrac, affordable high performance video intubation device.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Braun Ambulances' EZ Door Forward

Helps to create a safer ambulance module.
Watch It >


More Product Videos >