Explosion Traps People In Michigan Furniture Store

Third person has been rescued and is in critical condition.


 
 

ED WHITE, Associated Press | | Wednesday, December 29, 2010


VIDEOS

Multimedia Thumb

Explosion In Michigan Furniture Store

Reports of people trapped.
more >





WAYNE, Mich. - A furniture store in suburban Detroit exploded and collapsed Wednesday morning, leaving at least two people trapped in the rubble. A third person has been rescued and is in critical condition.

Police evacuated residents from homes and businesses near the William C. Franks furniture store in Wayne City. The massive blast at about 9 a.m. was felt as much as a mile away. Windows were shattered at nearby businesses.

"It was like 'ba-boom!'" said 47-year-old Lisa Johns, who rushed to the furniture store from her home a mile away. Johns said she was watching television in bed when she felt the explosion. "It sounded like a bomb," she said. "The power went off and came back on two or three minutes later." At least one person was pulled from the collapsed building, Wayne City Manager John Zech told WWJ-AM. He said at least three people had been trapped inside.

University of Michigan Hospital spokeswoman Christy Barnes told The Associated Press that Paul Franks had been taken to the Ann Arbor facility after the explosion and that he is in critical condition. Barnes said she did not know if other patients were expected.

"We're pretty sure natural gas is involved," Consumers Energy spokeswoman Debra Dodd said. "We're working to get it shut off." The family-owned furniture shop is in the heart of Wayne's business district.

Wayne, which lies some 15 miles west-southwest of Detroit, is home to 19,000 people. "I'm a dead sleeper. My whole house shook. I thought a car ran into my house," said 22-year-old Barbara Tackett, who rushed to the scene in her pajama pants.

Natalie Rhaesa lives about four blocks away, and said all of her windows shook. "My husband went outside to see, and all the neighbors were outside and they felt the same thing," Rhaesa said. Alicia Marnon, 65, of Wayne said the furniture store has been around for more than 40 years.

Standing at the corner of Wayne Road and Glenwood about 100 yards from the destroyed building, Marnon said, "It's devastating. All of my furniture is from there. It's good quality and the people are nice. It's their personal touch. I go there and pay a little more."

___

Associated Press writers Corey Williams, David Aguilar and Randi Berris in Detroit contributed to this report.



Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Explosion In Michigan Furniture Store


Connect: Have a thought or feedback about this? Add your comment now
Related Topics: News, explosion, collapse, building collapse, blast injuries

What's Your Take? Comment Now ...

Featured Careers & Jobs in EMS





 

Get JEMS in Your Inbox

 

Fire EMS Blogs


Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

 

EMS Airway Clinic

Simulation-Based Assessment Facilitates Learning & Enhances Clinical Judgment

Simulation is an educational tool that can be used to develop and refine clinical skills of the student in a controlled environment before they progress to becoming practicing clinicians.
More >

Multimedia Thumb

REMSA Programs Helps Reduce Hospital Visits

Community paramedic effort goes into service.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

City Official Challenges San Francisco Fire Chief

Ambulance response times among problems noted by city supervisor.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Texas Ambulance Crash

Victoria ambulance collides with civilian vehicle.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Colorado Medics Ditch Pants for Kilts

“Real men do wear kilts.”
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

CO Leak at Illinois School

Girard incident sends over 130 to hospitals.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Hands On September 2014

Who gets thumbs up this month?
More >


Multimedia Thumb

NYC Sept. 11 Anniversary

View images from the ceremony at Ground Zero.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

The AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher Conversion Kit - EMS Today 2013

AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher all-hazards preparedness & response tool
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

VividTrac offered by Vivid Medical - EMS Today 2013

VividTrac, affordable high performance video intubation device.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

LMA MAD Nasal™

Needle-free intranasal drug delivery.
Watch It >


More Product Videos >