Carbon Monoxide Claims Three in Maryland Community

It's believed that the generator was being used because the power had recently been turned off to the home.


 
 

WJLA | | Wednesday, June 2, 2010


VIDEOS

Multimedia Thumb

Carbon Monoxide Kills 3 In Maryland

Fire crews hit the streets to warn of CO dangers.
more >





HYATTSVILLE, Md. - Forty eight hours after carbon monoxide poisoning killed three people in a Hyattsville neighborhood the family members of the victims spoke to us and firefighters hit the streets with a warning.

Mourners gathered at the house in Hyattsville Tuesday to remember the lives lost to a silent killer.

"I was banging on the door as hard as I could because no one would answer," remembered Diana Pasig.

Sunday, Pasig came to the home to check on 20-year-old Edward Gonzales, the father of her four-year-old son. To her horror, she spotted a running generator in the basement and encountered a locked door upstairs.

She said, then, "I broke down the door and found my son's father and his uncle on the floor."

Gonzales, his 17-year-old brother Henry and friend Elon Jones had died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Pasig said about her son, "He's been asking me when is my daddy coming back from heaven. And I don't know what to say."

Only a few blocks from the house is a Prince George's County fire hall. Tuesday night, firefighters left Station One to prevent another tragedy. They canvassed the neighborhood where the Gonzales brothers lived, making sure that all are aware of the dangers of a highly toxic gas that is colorless and odorless.

While firefighters hope their efforts make a difference, grieving loved ones are left with a reality that is difficult to accept.

"It's so hard to think that the person I thought was going to be with me for the rest of my life is just gone," said Sonia Lopez, a girlfriend of one of the victims.

It's believed that the generator was being used because the power had recently been turned off to the home and the men planned on moving out the next day.





Carbon Monoxide Kills 3 In Maryland


Connect: Have a thought or feedback about this? Add your comment now
Related Topics: News, carbon monoxide

What's Your Take? Comment Now ...

Featured Careers & Jobs in EMS





 

Get JEMS in Your Inbox

 

Fire EMS Blogs


Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

 

EMS Airway Clinic

Innovation & Progress

Follow in the footsteps of these inspirational leaders of EMS.
More >

Multimedia Thumb

Las Vegas Fire, AMR Reach New Deal

Tentative agreement reached over ambulance calls.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Fire Damages Several Homes in California Earthquake

Four homes destroyed and others damaged after quake rattles Napa.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Image Trend: ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

ImageTrend just challenged NEMSIS TAC and a couple others.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Where in the World of EMS is A.J.?

A.J. Heightman participated in the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge in a big way!
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Where in the World of EMS is A.J.? Scranton

JEMS Editor-in-Chief visits his hometown of Scranton, Pa.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Over 100 Injured in California Earthquake

172 patients treated at Napa hospital after 6.0-magnitude earthquake.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Numerous Rescues during Arizona Flooding

Severe flooding across the region prompted several rescues.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

VividTrac offered by Vivid Medical - EMS Today 2013

VividTrac, affordable high performance video intubation device.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

The AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher Conversion Kit - EMS Today 2013

AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher all-hazards preparedness & response tool
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Field Bridge Xpress ePCR on iPad, Android, Kindle Fire

Sneak peek of customizable run forms & more.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

LMA MAD Nasal™

Needle-free intranasal drug delivery.
Watch It >


More Product Videos >