Calif. Family Hospitalized after Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

The fumes came from a faulty heater


 
 

Nels Johnson, Marin Independent Journal | | Tuesday, November 8, 2011


MARIN, Calif. -- A family of four poisoned by carbon monoxide fumes from a faulty heater at their Point Reyes Station home was doing fine Monday morning after being whisked to Marin General Hospital by county paramedics.

The parents, along with their son and daughter, thought they had the flu for the past three days as all suffered from flu-like symptoms, but when the two children became listless Monday morning the parents called 911 and were told by a dispatcher to get out of the house.

Marin County fire Capt. Rick Wonneberger said fire personnel took the four to Marin General shortly after 9 a.m. Monday "where they are doing well."

A faulty propane wall heater was to blame, he said, adding a landlord was fixing it and installing carbon monoxide detectors.

"They got sick," he said. "They had flu-like symptoms for three days and it got progressively worse."

Monday morning, "the kids were not acting normally, they weren't responding and were very sleepy," Wonneberger said.

That's when the parents decided to call for help, and just in time, because carbon monoxide poisoning can be deadly.




Connect: Have a thought or feedback about this? Add your comment now
Related Topics: News, carbon monoxide

What's Your Take? Comment Now ...

Featured Careers & Jobs in EMS

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Get JEMS in Your Inbox

 

Fire EMS Blogs


Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

 

EMS Airway Clinic

The Evolution of Civilian High Threat Medical Guidelines

How mass killing events have proven a need for new guidelines.
More >

Multimedia Thumb

Kentucky Firefighters, Medics Drill for Ebola

Lexington firefighters and medics prepare for possible patients.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Mid-South EMTs Prepare for Ebola

Mid-South EMTs are certified for service.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Ebola Changes How North Carolina EMS Responds to Calls

Concern about virus spread leads to new protocols.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Oklahoma Hospitals Prepare for Ebola Cases

Training and preparation are keys for metro hospitals.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Ottawa Shooting Incident

Solider is shot by gunman at national memorial in Ottawa.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Life Link III Trauma Tactics Conference in Minnesota

Conference was designed to enhance the skills of providers of all levels, covering rescue and prehospital situations, to transport and in-hospital treatment.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

EMS Tailgating

Rigs converted for football.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

LMA MAD Nasal™

Needle-free intranasal drug delivery.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

VividTrac offered by Vivid Medical - EMS Today 2013

VividTrac, affordable high performance video intubation device.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Field Bridge Xpress ePCR on iPad, Android, Kindle Fire

Sneak peek of customizable run forms & more.
Watch It >


More Product Videos >