Carbon Monoxide Kills Two Fla. Girls - @ JEMS.com


Carbon Monoxide Kills Two Fla. Girls


 
 

| Sunday, May 31, 2009


Scott Travis Staff Writer Staff Researcher Barbara Hijek and Staff Writers Rachel Hatzipanagos and Akilah Johnson contributed to this report

Editor s Note:Click here to read about treating patients with carbon monoxide poisoning.

FT. LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- Jill Brondolo always worried about whether her 11-year-old daughter Kaitlyn was wearing a seat belt or a bicycle helmet, but never thought about the dangers of carbon monoxide, the grieving mother said Sunday.

Hours before, a deputy had arrived at her home west of Boca Raton to tell her that Kaitlyn and her best friend, Amber Wilson, 11, had died from exposure to the deadly poison during a sleepover at Amber's house about a mile away.

"I just can't believe it. I'm totally shocked that this would have happened," Brondolo said.

Brondolo last heard from her daughter about 8 p.m. Saturday, when she called to say Amber's mom, Loretta Wilson, was going to take the girls shopping. Kaitlyn had stayed over at Amber's house, in the 1100 block of Island Lake Lane, at least eight times before, the mother said.

Loretta Wilson, 45, called 911 about 9 a.m. Sunday, saying Amber would not wake up, said Teri Barbera, spokeswoman for the Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office. Wilson was overcome by the fumes and taken to West Boca Medical Center, but she is expected to survive, Barbera said.

Wilson told investigators that she and the girls returned from a trip to Wal-Mart at about 10:30 p.m. Saturday, parked the Ford Escape in the garage, closed the garage door behind them and went to bed. Wilson said she could not shut off the vehicle's engine, according to Barbera.

Brondolo said she wasn't aware that her daughter had been out shopping so late, saying her normal bedtime was 9:30 p.m.

She said she was astonished that Wilson may have left a car running in the garage.

Fire-rescue workers found Wilson, along with the family dog, outside and in front of the house. The family dog was taken into custody by Animal Care and Control and is recovering.

A 9-year-old boy also lives at the house but was sleeping at a friend's place, Barbera said.

When deputies arrived the vehicle was not running, the keys were on the counter and the tank was half full, Barbera said. Large amounts of carbon monoxide were detected in the house, she said.

The vehicle was taken to the Sheriff Office's impoundment lot for further investigation.

"All indications were [Loretta Wilson] was planning a business trip. Her clothes had all been laid out," Barbera said. "There's no reason to believe any foul play. It appears to be a tragic accident."

The two girls were sixth-graders at Loggers Run Middle School.

"It's absolutely heartbreaking. These were fine students and lovely girls," Principal Carol Blacharski said.

Counselors will be available to talk to students, and the school will put together a bulletin board where students can write their goodbyes, she said. Teachers will also talk to students about carbon monoxide, she said.

Kaitlyn was a straight-A student who had become a golf enthusiast, taking lessons for four years and competing in junior tournaments, her mother said. Her dream was to get a college golf scholarship and join the Ladies Professional Golf Association.

Amber, also a straight-A student, was "a sweetheart. I loved her like my own daughter," Brondolo said.

Amber's relatives said they were shocked and devastated. Her father, Kenneth Wilson, lives in Massachusetts.

Loretta Wilson's sister, Kristina Lance, visited her in the hospital Sunday, their mother said.

"We really don't know much. My daughter's still in the hospital. No one is allowed in yet. We don't know what's going on," said Margaret Lance, of Ellwood City, Pa.

Carbon monoxide deaths are rare, said Tim O'Connor, a spokesman for the Palm Beach County Health Department. Other than suicides, the last one he recalled was during Hurricane Wilma. He said these deaths are more common during and after hurricanes, when people have power outages and use generators, or bring grills inside.

"The good part is it's rare, but it's something people really need to be aware of," he said.

He said families may want to consider buying carbon monoxide monitors, similar to smoke alarms.

In Florida, between 2000 and 2006, there were 198 deaths as a result of non-fire-related carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the latest data available from the Florida Department of Health's website.

Carbon monoxide prevents the body from delivering oxygen to the cells leading to the brain and the heart, said Richard Weisman, director of the Florida Poison Center and an associate dean at the University of Miami School of Medicine.

He was surprised at the idea that someone may have left a car running, given the publicity that carbon monoxide poisoning gets, especially during hurricanes.

"It's an amazing story if it turns out this person was just totally naive to the knowledge of leaving a car running in the garage and thinking that's not going to be a problem," he said.

Staff Researcher Barbara Hijek and Staff Writers Rachel Hatzipanagos and Akilah Johnson contributed to this report.

Scott Travis can be reached at stravis@SunSentinel.com or 561-243-6637.

INFORMATIONAL BOX:

How to avoid a silent killer

Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless, and tasteless gas that is highly poisonous. Depending on the level of exposure, it may cause fatigue, weakness, chest pains for those with heart disease, shortness of breath, nausea, vomiting, headaches, confusion, lack of coordination, impaired vision, loss of consciousness, and death.

Health department officials recommend the following precautions to help prevent carbon monoxide poisoning:

Do not burn charcoal or gas grills inside a house, garage, vehicle, tent or fireplace.

Do not use gas-powered generators or pressure washers indoors, not even in the garage.

Never leave the motor running in a vehicle parked in an enclosed or partially enclosed space, such as a garage.

If you suspect you are experiencing any symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, open doors and windows, turn off gas appliances and go outside. In cases of severe poisoning, call 911 or the nearest Poison Information Center at 800-222-1222.For further information, contact the Palm Beach County Health Department at pbchd.com or 561-840-4500.

Source: Palm Beach County Health Department




Connect: Have a thought or feedback about this? Add your comment now
Related Topics: Natural Disasters, Medical Emergencies

What's Your Take? Comment Now ...

Buyer's Guide Featured Companies

Featured Careers & Jobs in EMS

Get JEMS in Your Inbox

 

Fire EMS Blogs


Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

 

EMS Airway Clinic

Improving Survival from Cardiac Arrest Using ACD-CPR + ITD

Using active compression-decompression CPR with an ITD has been shown to improve 1-year survival from cardiac arrest by 33%.
More >

Multimedia Thumb

Philadelphia Fire Department Apologizes for Medic’s Jab at Police

Union head calls photos a slap in the face of officers.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

D.C. Fire and EMS Crews Blame New Technology for Patient’s Death

Delayed response blamed on recurring dispatch problems.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Suspect Steals, Crashes Maryland Ambulance

One killed, others injured in Prince George’s County crash.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Tennessee Trench Rescue

Worker pulled from Roane County worksite.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Time’s Ebola Firefighters

Doctors, nurses and others saluted for fighting virus.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Car Strikes Manhattan Pedestrians

Seven people hurt when car jumps curb.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

LMA MAD Nasal™

Needle-free intranasal drug delivery.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Field Bridge Xpress ePCR on iPad, Android, Kindle Fire

Sneak peek of customizable run forms & more.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

The AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher Conversion Kit - EMS Today 2013

AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher all-hazards preparedness & response tool
Watch It >


More Product Videos >