Death Toll in Russian Nightclub Blaze Reaches 113

 

 
 
 

| Monday, December 7, 2009


MANSUR MIROVALEV

Associated Press Writer

PERM, Russia - Grieving friends and relatives of victims of a Russian nightclub fire buried the dead on a frigid Monday as the death toll climbed to 113 and looked likely to rise.



Prosecutors on Monday charged four people in connection with the blaze - the club's co-owner, its manager and entertainment director and the head of a fireworks company whose indoor show sparked the blaze. All are in custody.



The prospect of many more deaths looms over the stricken city of Perm, where the Lame Horse nightclub caught fire early Saturday. Russia's health minister Tatiana Golikova said at least 68 of the 130 people hospitalized after the fire are on respirators.



The raging fire shocked the city of 1 million and the nation, which observed an official day of mourning, including the cancellation of many entertainment events.



"This is a tragedy for the entire country. More than a hundred young people died _ they are part of our generation," said Muscovite Sergei Novikov.



In Perm, many residents sounded their car horns Monday in a sign of commemoration, while others flocked to a park in front of the club to lay red flowers in tribute.



At snow-covered cemeteries throughout the city, mourners wept inconsolably as temperatures dipped to around minus 15 degrees Celsius (5 degrees Fahrenheit).



The club's co-owner and the two employees face up to seven years in prison if convicted on charges of fire-safety violations leading to the deaths of more than two people, according to a statement from the Prosecutor-General's Investigative Committee. The fireworks company director could be sentenced to three years if convicted of lesser charges.



The Emergencies Ministry said a young woman's death of severe burns Monday raised the death toll to 113.



Most of the dead were killed by burns or gas inhalation, officials have said, although some were crushed as the crowd tried to flee through a single exit.



Video footage from Russian television showed the club's ceiling covered in a pattern of woven twigs, which quickly caught fire from one of the pyrotechnics. The ceiling behind the twigs reportedly was highly inflammable plastic.



Enforcement of fire safety standards is infamously poor in Russia and there have been several catastrophic blazes at drug-treatment facilities, nursing homes, apartment buildings and nightclubs in recent years.



___



Associated Press writer Jim Heintz in Moscow contributed to this report.

Related JEMS Content:




Connect: Have a thought or feedback about this? Add your comment now
Related Topics: Incident Command

 
What's Your Take? Comment Now ...

Buyer's Guide Featured Companies

Featured Careers & Jobs in EMS

Get JEMS in Your Inbox

 

Fire EMS Blogs


Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

 

EMS Airway Clinic

Mechanical CPR is Producing Resuscitation Results Beyond Expectations

Discover why clinical studies are finding mechanical CPR just as effective as optimally-performed CPR.
More >

Multimedia Thumb

New York First Responders Take Extraordinary Steps to Help Residents

Snow causes fire and EMS crews to go beyond call of duty.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Raw Video: Explosion and Fire at California Business

Over a dozen hurt in Santa Paula blaze.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Four Workers Killed at Texas Chemical Plant

Five employees exposed to methyl mercaptan in La Porte.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Worker Killed in North Carolina Bridge Collapse

A fatal construction site collapse occurred in Wake County.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Plane Crashes into Chicago Home

Pilot reported engine trouble after takeoff.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Switzerland Landslide Kills Two, Injures Four

Slide hits residential building near Lugano.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

World Trade Center Rescue

Technical rescue work is done at nation’s tallest skyscraper.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

VividTrac offered by Vivid Medical - EMS Today 2013

VividTrac, affordable high performance video intubation device.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

The AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher Conversion Kit - EMS Today 2013

AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher all-hazards preparedness & response tool
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

LMA MAD Nasal™

Needle-free intranasal drug delivery.
Watch It >


More Product Videos >