Exclusives
FacebookTwitterLinkedInGoogle+RSS Feed
Fire EMSEMS TodayEMS Insider

Autopsy: Florida Man Choked to Death in Roach-Eating Contest

MIAMI (AP) — A Florida man choked to death after downing dozens of live roaches during a contest earlier this year in which the grand prize was a python, an autopsy released Monday concluded.

Previous coverage on JEMS.com:


Edward Archbold, 32, of West Palm Beach died as a result of "asphyxia due to choking and aspiration of gastric contents," according to the report released by the Broward County medical examiner's office.

Lab tests for drugs came back negative. The death has been ruled an accident.

Archbold died after downing the bugs as well as worms in October for the contest at Ben Siegel Reptile Store in Deerfield Beach, about 40 miles north of Miami.

Messages left with the store's owner and his attorney were not immediately returned.

Archbold became ill shortly after the contest and collapsed in front of the store. He was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead.

About 30 contestants ate the insects, but authorities said none of the other contestants became ill.



RELATED ARTICLES

Rescue and Recovery in Nepal

Death toll passes 4,000 and is expected to continue to rise as rescue teams search the ruins.

Nurse Falls From Texas Medical Helicopter

STAR Flight nurse’s death is the organization’s first on-duty death in 30-year history.

Drugs Stolen from Columbus Ambulances

Review finds broken and malfunctioning locks in 13 ambulances.

CDC Calls for Expanding Naloxone Use

Effort could reduce drug overdose deaths and save lives.

Rescue Efforts in Nepal

The latest on the devastating earthquake and the rescue response as the death toll climbs to over 3,700.

Virginia USAR Team Mobilizes for Nepal

Fairfax County Urban Search and Rescue team is on the way to quake site.

Features by Topic

JEMS Connect

CURRENT DISCUSSIONS

 
 

EMS BLOGS

Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

Featured Careers