Exclusives
FacebookTwitterLinkedInGoogle+RSS Feed
Fire EMSEMS TodayEMS Insider

30 Students Affected by Kiln Fumes in Chicago School

Thirty elementary students at a north suburban school were hospitalized after fumes from a small kiln fire made them sick.

The fire broke out in an art department classroom at Antioch Upper Grade School, officials said. A teacher placed a blanket on the fire in hopes of extinguishing it, but the blanket was not flame resistant, the Antioch Fire Department said.

The teacher evacuated students and pulled a fire alarm. Firefighters arrived at the school at 8:40 a.m., extinguished the fire and checked for dangerous levels of carbon monoxide and other contaminants, the fire department said.

About an hour later, the department received a call that students were feeling ill. Fire officials called just after 11 a.m. for more ambulances.

Thirty students were then transported to area hospitals with non-critical injuries, the fire department said.

A school official said no toxic materials were in the kiln at the time of the fire.

As a precaution, the fire department ordered the evacuation of the school at 800 Highview Drive, and school officials decided to release all students early because of the incident.



RELATED ARTICLES

Understanding Why EMS Systems Fail

Learn to recognize trigger points that could ruin your system.

West River Ambulance Receives New Rig

West River Ambulance in Hettinger, ND recently received a much-needed upgrade from their 1992 rig. A 2014 Ford/AEV Type III Custom Conversion rig with a 6.8 ...

Unlikely Pairing Leads to Health Care Education Wins

The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth) School of Nursing and Harris County Emergency Corps (HCEC) have formed an unlikely pairin...

Know When and How Your Patient Can Legally Refuse Care

Refusal of care straddles the intersection of ethical, legal and scientific domains of prehospital practice.

Reflecting on 35 Years of Innovation in JEMS

Take a walk through the last 35 years of EMS in JEMS.

Readers Sound Off About Glove Use After Patient Care

How often are you susceptible to potentially unclean surfaces?

Features by Topic

JEMS Connect

CURRENT DISCUSSIONS

 
 

EMS BLOGS

Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

Featured Careers