EMS WEEK
FacebookTwitterLinkedInGoogle+RSS Feed
Fire EMSEMS TodayEMS Insider

N.C. Man Drinks Gasoline from Jar, Lights Up, Dies

HAVELOCK, N.C. (AP) — Police say a North Carolina man is dead after he accidentally drank from a jar of gasoline and then smoked a cigarette.

Havelock police received a 911 call about 9:55 p.m. Monday after 43-year-old Gary Allen Banning set himself on fire. Banning was transported to UNC Burn Center in Chapel Hill, where he died early Tuesday morning.

City spokeswoman Diane Miller said investigators believe Banning was at a friend's apartment when he apparently mistook a jar of gasoline sitting by the kitchen sink for a beverage. After taking a gulp, he spit the gas out and got some on his clothes.

Sometime later, investigators say Banning went outside to smoke a cigarette and burst into flame.

Havelock police and the city fire marshal are continuing their investigation.



RELATED ARTICLES

Colorado River Fire Rescue Saves 100 Hours a Month After Implementing Aladtec’s Workforce Management System for Public Safety

The three days a week this agency saves is now focused on community outreach.

Twister Kills 13 in Mexico Border City

Tornado strikes city on U.S. – Mexico border destroying homes.

Waterspout Sends Florida Bounce House Flying, Children Injured

Three children were injured when a waterspout sent a bounce house flying.

12 Missing After Storm, Flooding Hit Texas

Rescue teams search for members of two families after home is swept off its foundation.

Bull Riders See Little Change in Concussion Prevention

Medical staffer sees no drop in numbers despite helmet use.

University Hospital EMS Receives AHA Gold Award

Lifeline Gold Award recognizes quality improvement measures in treatment of heart attack patients.

Features by Topic

Featured Careers

 

JEMS TV

FEATURED VIDEO TOPICS

Learn about new products and innovations featured at EMS Today 2015

 

JEMS Connect

CURRENT DISCUSSIONS

 
 

EMS BLOGS

Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts