EXCLUSIVES
FacebookTwitterLinkedInGoogle+RSS Feed
Fire EMSEMS TodayEMS Insider

Family Says Bacteria from In-Flight Meal Killed Passenger

MIAMI -- As it deals with fallout from its bankruptcy announcement, American Airlines is also facing the wrath of a family who claim their loved one died after eating a meal served by the carrier.

The wife and daughter of the late Othon Cortes of Miami are suing the airline and Sky Chefs for more than $1 million, alleging he ate food contaminated with bacteria during a flight from Barcelona, Spain, to New York.

The incident happened on May 18 after Cortes consumed an in-flight meal that allegedly contained chicken, according to a lawsuit filed last week in the U.S. District Court in Miami.

As is typical for active lawsuits, American Airlines declined to comment about the complaint or its allegations, said Tim Smith, a spokesman for the carrier.

Meanwhile, LSG Sky Chefs -- a German company that produces airline meals for more than 300 airlines -- has begun the process to dismiss the case, said spokeswoman Josefine Corsten.

"Based upon the allegations in the complaint it is not possible that Sky Chefs is the responsible party because we did not cater the Barcelona flight in question," she said.

The lawsuit states that after the plane landed at John F. Kennedy International Airport and as Cortes and his wife waited for their next flight to Miami, Cortes felt "discomfort and pain that included sharp stomach cramps and sudden thirst and other clear outward manifestation of severe physical illness."

During the flight to Miami, Cortes experienced nausea and shortness of breath, and became unresponsive after a cardiac event, forcing the plane to make an emergency landing in Norfolk, Virginia, his wife and daughter said. He was pronounced dead on arrival.

Cortes' family alleges that his death was caused by poisoned food that American Airlines and Sky Chefs served on the international flight. It accuses the companies of "failing to properly maintain or prepare the food" and alleges the companies allowed the food to become contaminated with Clostridium perfringens bacteria.

Perfringens poisoning is one of the most commonly reported foodborne illnesses in the U.S., according to the FDA.

It is very rarely fatal, but a few deaths have been reported as a result of dehydration and other complications, the agency said.
 



RELATED ARTICLES

Roller Coasters Crash at British Amusement Park

Four seriously injured when cars collide at one of Britain’s biggest amusement parks.

DuPont Protection Technologies Launches SafeSPEC™ Mobile

Mobile App Enables Easy-To-Read Content, Product and Technical Data From Anywhere

Scientists Work on ‘Battlefield MRI’

Los Alamos National Laboratory is designing a lower-tech, portable MRI.

California Woman Dies in Fall from Fair Ride

Patient fell 28 feet at San Bernardino County Fair.

69 Killed in Tanker Explosion in Nigeria

Runaway oil tanker exploded in a crowded bus station.

Cruise Ship Capsizes in China; Hundreds Missing

Over 400 missing after cruise ship capsizes on the Yangtze River.

Features by Topic

Featured Careers

 

JEMS TV

FEATURED VIDEO TOPICS

Learn about new products and innovations featured at EMS Today 2015

 

JEMS Connect

CURRENT DISCUSSIONS

 
 

EMS BLOGS

Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts