Exclusives
FacebookTwitterLinkedInGoogle+RSS Feed
Fire EMSEMS TodayEMS Insider

D.C. Hotel Executive Dies at Gym; Defibrillator Didn't Work

WASHINGTON -- A local hotel executive died over the weekend at a Balance Gym in Thomas Circle.

Ralph Polanec, the general manager of the Hamilton Crowne Plaza in Northwest D.C., died of natural causes, specifically due to hypertension and a lack of blood flow in his arteries.

But when gym employees tried to use a defibrillator to resuscitate Polanec, they found that the batteries were dead and had been removed from the unit, WTOP reports.

In a statement, Mark Crick,the owner of the gym, said Polanec was a longtime member of the gym and a personal friend of his.

Crick says that a complete investigation into the incident is being undertaken.



RELATED ARTICLES

More Rural Hospitals Closing

A growing number of facilities across the country face growing difficulties.

Milwaukee Launches Community Paramedic Program

Pilot program with University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee looks at follow-up care.

Cherokee Nation EMS Paramedic Training Named Top in Industry

Program is first and only tribe to receive accreditation from Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs.

Colorado Residents to Benefit in Ambulance Contract Split

Change in contract for Colorado Springs is seen a way for faster response times and increased funds.

FDNY Graduates Over 100 New EMTs

Seven foreign languages are spoken among the new personnel.

Teen Rescued Five Days after Nepal Quake

Victim pulled from rubble of seven-story building.

Features by Topic

JEMS Connect

CURRENT DISCUSSIONS

 
 

EMS BLOGS

Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

Featured Careers