Exclusives
FacebookTwitterLinkedInGoogle+RSS Feed
Fire EMSEMS TodayEMS Insider

One Injured in Michigan Dry Cleaners Explosion

jems0505pic8-1

WARREN, Mich. (WDIV) - A commercial building exploded Wednesday near Hoover Road and Belmont Avenue, just south of Stephens Road, in Warren.

Warren Mayor James Fouts said the building exploded due to a gas leak. Fouts said it was an abandoned dry cleaners. The building collapsed entirely, Fouts said.

He said one person sustained minor injuries.

No one was trapped under the rubble, Warren police said.

Warren police Lt. Craig Garwood said the explosion happened about 8:10 p.m. and said no one was inside the building at the time.

Several fire trucks and firefighters responded to the fire Wednesday evening. Firefighters doused the flames, but the building collapsed.

Dan Danlecke, who owns the Bonanza Bowling center at 9 and 1/2 Mile and Hoover roads, said his bowling alley shook during the explosion.

Danlecke said the alley's doors opened and sprinkler heads fell from the ceiling.

Art Marshall, who lives in one of the homes nearby, said he heard and felt the explosion.

"Sounded like a bomb went off," Marshall said.

Marshall said he was outside when police said he and neighbors had to move down the block, farther away from the building.

"All the neighbors came out. We saw everything just flying in the air from the explosion, and then the building on fire," Marshall said.

People reported feeling the explosion from miles away. Nearby buildings had windows broken by debris. Homeowners in the area reported doors opening due to the explosion.

Craig Wood, who also lives nearby, said he fell to the floor when he heard the explosion and saw the cloud of debris.

"I hit the floor," Wood said. "I was standing in my living room and next thing you know this big ol' orange flashing light came and there was a big ol' boom. I told the kids to hit the floor. I, like the idiot I am, ran outside to see what happened."

Stay with ClickOnDetroit.com and Local 4 for more information as it becomes available.

Copyright 2011 by ClickOnDetroit.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.



RELATED ARTICLES

FERNO's New 'Proof of Concept' Ambulance has the EMS Industry Talking

You'll hear a lot more about this innovative new ambulance interior, so I will just highlight what its most impressive offerings are to me: Interchangable, c...

Washington State Signs Community Paramedicine Bill into Law

With a lot of passion and perseverance, it’s possible to change the history of EMS.

Firefighters Rescue Man Who Wedged Inside Wall to Evade Cops

A central Indiana man who hid inside a wall in his home to avoid arrest had to berescued by firefighters after he became wedged next to its chimney for ...

17 Patients Evaluated After Plane Makes Emergency Landing

SkyWest spokeswoman Marissa Snow said new information from medical personnel confirmed that "a total of three passengers reported a loss of consciousnes...

Nurse Practitioner Now Responding to EMS Calls with Green Valley Fire

The district has started a first of its kind program that brings urgent medical care right into a patient's home.

New WTC Study Focuses on EMS Personnel

New research shows that EMS workers who went to Ground Zero suffer from poor health.

Features by Topic

JEMS Connect

CURRENT DISCUSSIONS

 
 

EMS BLOGS

Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

Featured Careers