EXCLUSIVES
FacebookTwitterLinkedInGoogle+RSS Feed
Fire EMSEMS TodayEMS Insider

One Injured in Michigan Dry Cleaners Explosion

jems0505pic8-1

WARREN, Mich. (WDIV) - A commercial building exploded Wednesday near Hoover Road and Belmont Avenue, just south of Stephens Road, in Warren.

Warren Mayor James Fouts said the building exploded due to a gas leak. Fouts said it was an abandoned dry cleaners. The building collapsed entirely, Fouts said.

He said one person sustained minor injuries.

No one was trapped under the rubble, Warren police said.

Warren police Lt. Craig Garwood said the explosion happened about 8:10 p.m. and said no one was inside the building at the time.

Several fire trucks and firefighters responded to the fire Wednesday evening. Firefighters doused the flames, but the building collapsed.

Dan Danlecke, who owns the Bonanza Bowling center at 9 and 1/2 Mile and Hoover roads, said his bowling alley shook during the explosion.

Danlecke said the alley's doors opened and sprinkler heads fell from the ceiling.

Art Marshall, who lives in one of the homes nearby, said he heard and felt the explosion.

"Sounded like a bomb went off," Marshall said.

Marshall said he was outside when police said he and neighbors had to move down the block, farther away from the building.

"All the neighbors came out. We saw everything just flying in the air from the explosion, and then the building on fire," Marshall said.

People reported feeling the explosion from miles away. Nearby buildings had windows broken by debris. Homeowners in the area reported doors opening due to the explosion.

Craig Wood, who also lives nearby, said he fell to the floor when he heard the explosion and saw the cloud of debris.

"I hit the floor," Wood said. "I was standing in my living room and next thing you know this big ol' orange flashing light came and there was a big ol' boom. I told the kids to hit the floor. I, like the idiot I am, ran outside to see what happened."

Stay with ClickOnDetroit.com and Local 4 for more information as it becomes available.

Copyright 2011 by ClickOnDetroit.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.



RELATED ARTICLES

Wisconsin City Council Turns Over EMS to Hospital

Vote in Platteville transfers control of EMS to Southwest health Center.

21 People Rescued From Drifting Houseboat in Texas

Austin-Travis County EMS said none of the occupants were injured.

Austin-Travis County EMS Honored with Mission: Lifeline Gold Award

AHA award recognizes successful implementation of quality improvement measures.

Construction Worker injured in fall at Maine Water Treatment Plant

Firefighters had to cut through reinforcing bar to access the patient.

Wisconsin Council Votes on Ambulance Service Change

Vote could move responsibility of EMS delivery to area hospital.

Ohio Law Would Allow EMTs to Treat Injured Animals

Proposed bill would not allow people to call 911 for pets.

Features by Topic

Featured Careers

 

JEMS TV

FEATURED VIDEO TOPICS

Learn about new products and innovations featured at EMS Today 2015

 

JEMS Connect

CURRENT DISCUSSIONS

 
 

EMS BLOGS

Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts