Exclusives
FacebookTwitterLinkedInGoogle+RSS Feed
Fire EMSEMS TodayEMS Insider

Eight Hospitalized in Pittsburgh Daycare CO Incident

Five toddlers and three adults were hospitalized this afternoon after becoming ill from carbon monoxide fumes at a North Side day care center, according to authorities.

Employees at the Community Preschool and Nursery in the 100 block of East North Avenue called 911 shortly after 2 p.m. after several people complained of dizziness, headaches and nausea, said Richard Linn, a Pittsburgh EMS district chief.

An emergency physician and paramedics checked the carbon monoxide levels in the blood of people in the building and administered oxygen to victims at the scene before deciding that levels were high enough for some that they should be treated at a hospital. Three of the children were taken by ambulance  to Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC. Two other kids were taken to Children’s by private vehicles. The adults were able to walk the half block to Allegheny General Hospital, Linn said.

The cause of the potentially deadly carbon monoxide leak was pinpointed to the furnace in the daycare center’s building, Linn said.

The gas company suspended service to the building so repairs can be made.



RELATED ARTICLES

Virginia USAR Team Mobilizes for Nepal

Fairfax County Urban Search and Rescue team is on the way to quake site.

Global Rescuers Converge on Nepal

Teams and relief agencies respond to earthquake disaster.

Over 2,500 Killed in Nepal Quake

Landslides and aftershocks cause fear in survivors and hinder rescue efforts.

FERNO's New 'Proof of Concept' Ambulance has the EMS Industry Talking

You'll hear a lot more about this innovative new ambulance interior, so I will just highlight what its most impressive offerings are to me: Interchangable, c...

Washington State Signs Community Paramedicine Bill into Law

With a lot of passion and perseverance, it’s possible to change the history of EMS.

Firefighters Rescue Man Who Wedged Inside Wall to Evade Cops

A central Indiana man who hid inside a wall in his home to avoid arrest had to berescued by firefighters after he became wedged next to its chimney for ...

Features by Topic

JEMS Connect

CURRENT DISCUSSIONS

 
 

EMS BLOGS

Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

Featured Careers