FacebookTwitterLinkedInGoogle+RSS Feed
Fire EMSEMS TodayEMS Insider

Infant Death Highlights NYC Storm Response Troubles

The New York Daily News is reporting that during the blizzard that covered much of the city, a baby delivered inside a Brooklyn building died after the emergency call for the birth brought no help for nine hours.

According to Daily News reporters, the newborn was pronounced dead on Monday night, 10 hours after the first call from the lobby of the Crown Heights apartment. The mother is reportedly recovering at Interfaith Medical Center. The grandmother states that her Crown Heights neighborhood was not plowed, and hours went by before help arrived. Once firefighters and police officers managed to make it to the apartment, the baby was unconcious and unresponsive.

The infant death is one of many incidents depicting a city struggling to deal with the holiday winter weather.

Queens: According to state Senator Jose Peralta's office, a woman dies after waiting over three hours once a 911 call is finally answered.

Brooklyn: A woman ended up spending the night with her dead father due to the medical examinier taking more than 24 hours to claim his body.

Brooklyn: Good samaritans fashioned a cot into a sled and helped carry an elderly heart attack victim after the FDNY ambulance transporting him became stuck in a snowbank.

The Daily News states that none of these difficulties overshadows the death of the infant in Brooklyn. The pregnant woman, who had kept details of the impending birth from her family, was walking home whe she went into an apartmenr building lobby, unable to no further.

According to an FDNY source, a 911 call was made at 8:30 a.m. with the caller saying the birth wasn't imminent. The call received a low priority, and dispatchers unsuccessfully tried twice to contact the calling party over the next few hours. A second call, more urgent, was received at 4:30 p.m. reporting the woman was bleeding and birth was imminent. The call was then upgraded.

One hour later, the NYPD contacted the FDNY/EMS reporting that the baby had been delivered but was unconscious. Police officers cut the umbilical cord and tried to resuscitate the baby. This upgraded the call was then upgraded to the highest priority, and sources reported that an FDNY EMS crew arrived within 12 minutes, at 6:00 p.m.

The city medical examiner is expected to do an autopsy on the baby.


1,800 EMS Workers Ratify 3-Year Contract with AMR

Emergency medical service (EMS) professionals working in 13 counties across California have voted to ratify a new 3-year agreement with the ambulance company...

FDM Records Management System Key to Minnesota’s First Integrated Public Safety System

Firefighters heading to a blaze in Anoka County, Minnesota will soon know if they will be walking into a drug house, thanks to a new Public Safety Data Syste...

MONOC Wins EMS 10 Innovators in EMS Award for Second Straight Year

Wall, NJ – At an annual awards’ dinner in Baltimore, Maryland, MONOC managers Scott Matin and Peter Dworsky were presented the EMS 10 Innovators ...

British Columbia Paramedics Launch Major Public Awareness Campaign

VANCOUVER – British Columbia’s 4,000 Ambulance Paramedics and Emergency Dispatchers are launching a major province-wide public awareness campaign...

South Carolina County EMS Tries to Ease Workload of 24-Hour Shifts

Charleston County EMS schedule switch brings some praise and some grumbling Other agencies such as Berkeley, Dorchester struggle with fatigue, weigh possible...

MONOC is Awarded 911 EMS Contract for City of Orange

Wall, NJ – MONOC is proud to announce that it has just been awarded a one year contract to provide 911 EMS services to the City of Orange.  The co...

Features by Topic

JEMS Connect




Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

Featured Careers