EXCLUSIVES
FacebookTwitterLinkedInGoogle+RSS Feed
Fire EMSEMS TodayEMS Insider

Carbon Monoxide Claims Three in Maryland Community

HYATTSVILLE, Md. - Forty eight hours after carbon monoxide poisoning killed three people in a Hyattsville neighborhood the family members of the victims spoke to us and firefighters hit the streets with a warning.

Mourners gathered at the house in Hyattsville Tuesday to remember the lives lost to a silent killer.

"I was banging on the door as hard as I could because no one would answer," remembered Diana Pasig.

Sunday, Pasig came to the home to check on 20-year-old Edward Gonzales, the father of her four-year-old son. To her horror, she spotted a running generator in the basement and encountered a locked door upstairs.

She said, then, "I broke down the door and found my son's father and his uncle on the floor."

Gonzales, his 17-year-old brother Henry and friend Elon Jones had died of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Pasig said about her son, "He's been asking me when is my daddy coming back from heaven. And I don't know what to say."

Only a few blocks from the house is a Prince George's County fire hall. Tuesday night, firefighters left Station One to prevent another tragedy. They canvassed the neighborhood where the Gonzales brothers lived, making sure that all are aware of the dangers of a highly toxic gas that is colorless and odorless.

While firefighters hope their efforts make a difference, grieving loved ones are left with a reality that is difficult to accept.

"It's so hard to think that the person I thought was going to be with me for the rest of my life is just gone," said Sonia Lopez, a girlfriend of one of the victims.

It's believed that the generator was being used because the power had recently been turned off to the home and the men planned on moving out the next day.



RELATED ARTICLES

More Bodies Recovered from Texas Flood

At least 28 killed nationwide due to storms.

Secretary of State Suffers Fractured Femur in Bicycle Crash

Paramedics and a physician were on hand as part of the motorcade.

10 Injured in Manhattan Crane Load Collapse

Air-conditioning unit broke free and fell 28-stories onto Madison Avenue.

Wisconsin City Council Turns Over EMS to Hospital

Vote in Platteville transfers control of EMS to Southwest health Center.

21 People Rescued From Drifting Houseboat in Texas

Austin-Travis County EMS said none of the occupants were injured.

Austin-Travis County EMS Honored with Mission: Lifeline Gold Award

AHA award recognizes successful implementation of quality improvement measures.

Features by Topic

Featured Careers

 

JEMS TV

FEATURED VIDEO TOPICS

Learn about new products and innovations featured at EMS Today 2015

 

JEMS Connect

CURRENT DISCUSSIONS

 
 

EMS BLOGS

Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts