Exclusives
FacebookTwitterLinkedInGoogle+RSS Feed
Fire EMSEMS TodayEMS Insider

FDNY EMTs Rescue Five from Queens Carbon Monoxide Incident

Members of the EMS Command responded to a call for a sick female on Jan. 19 and ended up saving the lives of five people when they discovered the family s home had high levels of carbon monoxide (CO).

They did an excellent job, they acted very quickly knew exactly what to do, said Capt. Steven Warren from Division 4. The whole job went very smoothly. Had [this condition] gone undetected, this would have been a tragic story.

Lt. Rae Ammirati (Station 54), and EMTs Sherri Fiebert and Kevin Kuck (both from Station 50), responded to a call for a sick female on 156th Street in Queens at 8:28 a.m.

As soon as the members stepped into the residence, the CO detectors they wear on their belts began to sound, indicating readings of 700 ppm - indicating extreme exposure.

The members immediately evacuated the two adults and two children, ages 10 and 7, from the residence. Since they had to leave so quickly, the family did not have time to grab their coats, so the EMTs brought them to the ambulance to administer oxygen treatments.

Capt. Warren, who was called to the scene after the CO levels were detected, then used a RAD meter, which clips onto a victim s finger to determine the level of CO in his or her bloodstream. He said all the victims had high readings, so they were transported to Queens Hospital.

The members also called the local fire company to decontaminate the residence and help urge one remaining member of the family, an elderly man, to evacuate.

Although he had lower levels of CO in his blood than the other members of the family, the man decided to seek treatment and an awaiting ambulance transported him to the hospital.

The cause of the CO exposure was determined to be a faulty boiler.

During the winter months, it is easy to be victim of CO exposure. The FDNY urges all New Yorkers to install CO detectors in their homes.

Read more about how you can prevent CO exposure in the home.

RELATED ARTICLES

Over 70 Killed in Philippines Factory Blaze

Many workers became trapped on the second floor behind window bars.

Skedco Releases HydraSim

Skedco Inc., the manufacturer of the battle tested Sked stretcher, spent the last 8 years developing a rugged, realistic, and affordable solution to the chao...

Massachusetts Congressman Introduces EMS Memorial Bill

Congressman Stephen F. Lynch proposes bill to create a national memorial in Washington, D.C.

NTSB: No Safety Instructions Given in Fatal California Bus Crash

Investigators find that students were not told about safety features before fiery crash killed 10.

Ambulance Struck in Georgia Chain-Reaction Crash

Central Ambulance was struck after arriving on the scene of a crash on I-75 in Bartow County.

Los Angeles County Rescue Team Continues Searching in Nepal

USAR team members keep working in Kathmandu as operations shift to recovery phase.

Features by Topic

Featured Careers

 

JEMS TV

FEATURED VIDEO TOPICS

Learn about new products and innovations featured at EMS Today 2015

 

JEMS Connect

CURRENT DISCUSSIONS

 
 

EMS BLOGS

Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts