FacebookTwitterLinkedInGoogle+RSS Feed
Fire EMSEMS TodayEMS Insider

Toxic Fumes End EMTs Reception

NEW YORK -- A New York wedding celebration quickly ended when the newlyweds and their guests breathed in excess amounts of carbon monoxide, the groom said.

George Quenneville, 28, was preparing to cut into his wedding cake Sunday when carbon monoxide overcame the second floor of Dante Caterers hall in Queens, NY, the New York Post reported.

"Everyone was fine. And then, all of a sudden, my brother-in-law, Eddie, comes running out saying, 'Call 911! Your mom is down!' I knocked down tables to get to her," Quenneville told the newspaper.

Quenneville, who is an Emergency Medical Technician, took his mother out of the catering hall and gave her emergency treatment.

Officials said the carbon monoxide level in the building was 500 parts per million. Evacuation is required for anything higher than 100 parts per million, a fire official said.

Two of the 80 people at the reception were hospitalized in serious condition and 41 others received treatment for minor injuries, the New York Daily News reported.


More Rural Hospitals Closing

A growing number of facilities across the country face growing difficulties.

Milwaukee Launches Community Paramedic Program

Pilot program with University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee looks at follow-up care.

Cherokee Nation EMS Paramedic Training Named Top in Industry

Program is first and only tribe to receive accreditation from Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs.

Colorado Residents to Benefit in Ambulance Contract Split

Change in contract for Colorado Springs is seen a way for faster response times and increased funds.

FDNY Graduates Over 100 New EMTs

Seven foreign languages are spoken among the new personnel.

Teen Rescued Five Days after Nepal Quake

Victim pulled from rubble of seven-story building.

Features by Topic

JEMS Connect




Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

Featured Careers