Utah Man Dies after Ingesting Hazardous Substance

 

 
 
 

| Wednesday, January 20, 2010


SARATOGA SPRINGS -- A 30-year-old Saratoga Springs man died Tuesday hours after ingesting a hazardous substance, and two dozen people at the health clinic where he went for treatment were quarantined, officials said.

Intermountain Healthcare spokeswoman Janet Frank said the man apparently ingested selenomethionine at his job.

"We know that he was at work in Payson, where the exposure occurred," Frank said.

The man's place of work could not be confirmed, and his name was not released.

Frank said the man went home, changed his clothes, then went to the nearby InstaCare clinic because he wasn't feeling well. He later died at a hospital or on the way.

Frank says the clinic was shut down and 24 people there were quarantined. She says eight of them were being decontaminated in a tent on the clinic site. She says none complained of feeling ill.

"The responders do want to talk to the eight before they let the others go," she said. "I don't know of anyone else that should be worried (about) exposure."

She said it's unclear when the clinic will reopen.

Frank said early reports indicated that the man inhaled the substance but she could not confirm that.

Related JEMS Training Content:FireEMSBlogs

Be the Glow Worm - HazMat for EMS


Connect: Have a thought or feedback about this? Add your comment now
Related Topics: Special Operations, Patient Management

 
What's Your Take? Comment Now ...

Buyer's Guide Featured Companies

Featured Careers & Jobs in EMS

Get JEMS in Your Inbox

 

Fire EMS Blogs


Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

 

EMS Airway Clinic

Mechanical CPR is Producing Resuscitation Results Beyond Expectations

Discover why clinical studies are finding mechanical CPR just as effective as optimally-performed CPR.
More >

Multimedia Thumb

New York First Responders Take Extraordinary Steps to Help Residents

Snow causes fire and EMS crews to go beyond call of duty.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Raw Video: Explosion and Fire at California Business

Over a dozen hurt in Santa Paula blaze.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Four Workers Killed at Texas Chemical Plant

Five employees exposed to methyl mercaptan in La Porte.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Worker Killed in North Carolina Bridge Collapse

A fatal construction site collapse occurred in Wake County.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Plane Crashes into Chicago Home

Pilot reported engine trouble after takeoff.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Switzerland Landslide Kills Two, Injures Four

Slide hits residential building near Lugano.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

World Trade Center Rescue

Technical rescue work is done at nation’s tallest skyscraper.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

LMA MAD Nasal™

Needle-free intranasal drug delivery.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

The AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher Conversion Kit - EMS Today 2013

AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher all-hazards preparedness & response tool
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

VividTrac offered by Vivid Medical - EMS Today 2013

VividTrac, affordable high performance video intubation device.
Watch It >


More Product Videos >