Texas EMT-Trainee Dies In Station Carbon Monoxide Incident - News - @ JEMS.com


Texas EMT-Trainee Dies In Station Carbon Monoxide Incident

Three other EMTs were exposed and hospitalized.


 
 

KYTX/CBS19.tv | | Friday, August 13, 2010


WHITE OAK - A 33-year-old woman training to become an EMT succumbed to carbon monoxide poisoning early this morning when a generator inside a Champion EMS substation was left on overnight.

Victoria Ashworth, Good Shepherd Hospital marketing and public relations director, said the 33-year-old woman and three other EMTs were exposed to carbon monoxide poisoning and were found at shift change in the substation, which is next door to the White Oak police department.

White Oak police confirmed they began dispatching additional ambulances at 7:14 a.m., and city officials said police had to break down a door to gain entry.

Ms. Ashworth said officials are notifying next of kin, but did add her husband is an employee at Good Shepherd Hospital. The deceased woman was a part-time employee who was riding on the substation's truck to gain experience.

"One patient was transported by air, two others by ground ambulances to Good Shepherd," Ms. Ashworth said. "Two of those patients underwent treatment in a hyperbaric chamber, and all three patients are now in good condition."

Ms. Ashworth said the incident remains under investigation, but it appears a generator may have been left on in the building with the bay doors shut while the EMTs slept. She described the station as being like a fire station where there are sleeping quarters. EMTs are awakened by an alarm if there is a call.

A press conference is scheduled at the White Oak fire training ground today at 2 p.m., where officials from White Oak and Good Shepherd are expected to release further details about the incident.

"This is a devastating loss for us here at Good Shepherd and Champion EMS, along with our partners, Trinity Mother Frances," Ms. Ashworth said. Mother Frances Hospital and Good Shepherd are co-owners of the Champion EMS ambulance service.

Ms. Ashworth would not give any further details about the other victims other than they are in good condition.



Related Links:



Connect: Have a thought or feedback about this? Add your comment now
Related Topics: News, carbon monoxide

What's Your Take? Comment Now ...

Buyer's Guide Featured Companies

Featured Careers & Jobs in EMS

Get JEMS in Your Inbox

 

Fire EMS Blogs


Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

 

EMS Airway Clinic

Improving Survival from Cardiac Arrest Using ACD-CPR + ITD

Using active compression-decompression CPR with an ITD has been shown to improve 1-year survival from cardiac arrest by 33%.
More >

Multimedia Thumb

Three Injured in Philadelphia Collapse

Parapet wall falls through roof of store.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

California Firefighters save Man on Flight

Patient was conscious and talking when United flight landed.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Over Half of Seattle Fire Stations Test Positive for MRSA

Surprisingly high results come from test kits based on earlier study.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Hands On February 2015

Here’s a look at this month’s product hands on.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Nightwatch Series Premiere Party

JEMS Editor-in-Chief A.J. Heightman attends the series premiere of A&E's new reality show, "Nightwatch."
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Ottawa Chemical Investigation

Chemicals and suspicious package are probed at two locations
More >


Multimedia Thumb

LMA MAD Nasal™

Needle-free intranasal drug delivery.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

VividTrac offered by Vivid Medical - EMS Today 2013

VividTrac, affordable high performance video intubation device.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Braun Ambulances' EZ Door Forward

Helps to create a safer ambulance module.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

The AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher Conversion Kit - EMS Today 2013

AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher all-hazards preparedness & response tool
Watch It >


More Product Videos >