Paramedic Saves Toddler Choking on Window Blind Cord - News - @ JEMS.com


Paramedic Saves Toddler Choking on Window Blind Cord

Her mother found her hanging unconscious in the bedroom of her home


 
 

LOUISE DOUGLAS, Scottish Star | | Friday, November 9, 2012


A toddler who was seconds from death after getting tangled in a window blind cord was saved because a paramedic was on a call nearby.

Debbie Paterson, 24, found her 19-month-old daughter Eilidh hanging unconscious in the bedroom of her home and rushed to dial 999.

Within 90 seconds Scottish Ambulance Service medic Alex Kennedy was at her door in Larkhall, Lanarkshire.

He managed to clear Eilidh's airway before the toddler was taken to hospital.

Mother-of-two Debbie, a drycleaning worker, said: "While I was waiting on the paramedics, her eyes rolled back into her head and that's when I thought she had gone.

"We are lucky that I found her when I did as had it been a minute or two later she would have been dead.

"I am just glad Alex was nearby and he was able to save my daughter."

Alex said: "Marks were dug right in on her neck by the beads on the blind and she wasn't breathing.

"I turned her over on her back and kept her completely flat and made sure there was nothing in her airway. I then gave her oxygen, which triggered her breathing."

After being taken to hospital in Wishaw after the incident on October 14, Eilidh was taken to the sick kids' hospital in Glasgow.

Debbie now works with the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents to alert people to the danger of blind cords.

RoSPA's Michael Corley said: "This usually happens when children have been left to play or sleep. So we would say don't fit a blind with cords. There have been 25 deaths since 1999."



Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy


Connect: Have a thought or feedback about this? Add your comment now
Related Topics: News, choking

What's Your Take? Comment Now ...

Buyer's Guide Featured Companies

Featured Careers & Jobs in EMS

Get JEMS in Your Inbox

 

Fire EMS Blogs


Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

 

EMS Airway Clinic

Improving Survival from Cardiac Arrest Using ACD-CPR + ITD

Using active compression-decompression CPR with an ITD has been shown to improve 1-year survival from cardiac arrest by 33%.
More >

Multimedia Thumb

Philadelphia Fire Department Apologizes for Medic’s Jab at Police

Union head calls photos a slap in the face of officers.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

D.C. Fire and EMS Crews Blame New Technology for Patient’s Death

Delayed response blamed on recurring dispatch problems.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Suspect Steals, Crashes Maryland Ambulance

One killed, others injured in Prince George’s County crash.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Truck Strikes Pedestrians in Scotland

Six killed in downtown Glasgow.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Tennessee Trench Rescue

Worker pulled from Roane County worksite.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Time’s Ebola Firefighters

Doctors, nurses and others saluted for fighting virus.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Field Bridge Xpress ePCR on iPad, Android, Kindle Fire

Sneak peek of customizable run forms & more.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

LMA MAD Nasal™

Needle-free intranasal drug delivery.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

The AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher Conversion Kit - EMS Today 2013

AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher all-hazards preparedness & response tool
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

VividTrac offered by Vivid Medical - EMS Today 2013

VividTrac, affordable high performance video intubation device.
Watch It >


More Product Videos >