One Dead, Four Sick in Suspected West Virginia CO Incident

Holiday Inn Express in South Charleston was evacuated.


 
 

JOHN RABY, Associated Press | | Wednesday, February 1, 2012


SOUTH CHARLESTON, W.Va. (AP) — Authorities have evacuated a West Virginia hotel after one guest was found dead and at least four others fell sick from suspected carbon monoxide exposure.

South Charleston fire Capt. Virgil White said firefighters detected high levels of the colorless, odorless gas on several floors Tuesday at the Holiday Inn Express. Later it was determined it came from a pool heater.

Fire Chief Greg Petry said four male victims, including the dead man, were found in one room on the fifth floor. The dead man had failed to show up for a meeting, and the others fell ill when they went to his room to check on him.

Authorities didn't know how many guests overall had been staying at the hotel.



Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Connect: Have a thought or feedback about this? Add your comment now
Related Topics: News, carbon monoxide poisoning

What's Your Take? Comment Now ...

Featured Careers & Jobs in EMS





 

Get JEMS in Your Inbox

 

Fire EMS Blogs


Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

 

EMS Airway Clinic

Innovation & Progress

Follow in the footsteps of these inspirational leaders of EMS.
More >

Multimedia Thumb

Las Vegas Fire, AMR Reach New Deal

Tentative agreement reached over ambulance calls.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Fire Damages Several Homes in California Earthquake

Four homes destroyed and others damaged after quake rattles Napa.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Image Trend: ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

ImageTrend just challenged NEMSIS TAC and a couple others.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Where in the World of EMS is A.J.?

A.J. Heightman participated in the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge in a big way!
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Over 100 Injured in California Earthquake

172 patients treated at Napa hospital after 6.0-magnitude earthquake.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Numerous Rescues during Arizona Flooding

Severe flooding across the region prompted several rescues.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Colorado Hiker Rescue

Injured hiker spent three hours in a crevice.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Field Bridge Xpress ePCR on iPad, Android, Kindle Fire

Sneak peek of customizable run forms & more.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

LMA MAD Nasal™

Needle-free intranasal drug delivery.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

VividTrac offered by Vivid Medical - EMS Today 2013

VividTrac, affordable high performance video intubation device.
Watch It >


More Product Videos >