Nine Hospitalized after Carbon Monoxide Exposure

Furnace in Pa. home faulted in poisonings


 
 

Jennifer Todd, Intelligencer Journal/New Era | | Thursday, December 27, 2012


Carbon monoxide poisoning sent nine people to the hospital after several became ill Monday inside a Lancaster city (Pa.) home, a fire official said.

Four adults were transported by ambulance Monday night while four children under the age of 11 were driven to the hospital by their father who wanted them checked out, city fire Capt. Fred Lenhart said.

Earlier in the day, a woman was taken to the hospital after she began feeling ill in the home, Lenhart said.

Names and conditions of the victims were not available Tuesday.

Emergency personnel were sent to 738 Lehigh Ave. shortly before 9 p.m. after a man called 9-1-1 to report that several people in the home were ill. Crews arrived to find a man in his 20s lying on the porch, Lenhart said.
"He was very overcome and barely conscious," he added. "They got him on oxygen and then just grabbed him and took off."

Medics immediately retrieved three other adults from inside the home and took them to the hospital as well. Lenhart said firefighters measured carbon monoxide levels of 440 to 480 parts per million in the home. A reading above 32 is considered toxic.

Levels reaching 550 were recorded in an adjacent home but no one there was feeling sick, Lenhart said. He said it appeared that family had been out of the house for some time and had just returned home. Officials evacuated that home as well and ventilated both dwellings. Lenhart said the occupants of 738 Lehigh Ave. likely were surrounded by high levels of carbon monoxide, which is colorless and odorless, for four to eight hours.

In fact, Lenhart said, earlier Monday a woman was taken from the home by ambulance after experiencing flu-like symptoms.

When her husband returned home from being with her at the hospital, he found other family members "laying on couches and not acting right," Lenhart added. "He put two and two together and called 9-1-1. We're very fortunate that he recognized what was going on when he did. Quite frankly, if those people would've gone to sleep in that house (Monday night) they probably wouldn't have woken up."

Lenhart said firefighters traced the high carbon monoxide levels to a furnace in the home at 738 Lehigh Ave., which is owned by Thinh Van Le and Dianh Thi Pham, according to county records.

Fire personnel "tagged" the furnace, which requires the homeowner to have the equipment repaired or replaced, he said.

The homeowner then is required to notify the city fire marshal's office that the issue has been addressed. The residents of the neighboring home were able to return to their house Monday night and had offered shelter to their neighbors, who are relatives, according to Lenhart.

"This serves as another opportunity to remind people to stay on top of furnace maintenance," Lenhart said. "Sure, there will be some cost to it, but the price you pay otherwise could be more than you ever imagined."



Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions | Privacy Policy


Connect: Have a thought or feedback about this? Add your comment now
Related Topics: News, CO poisoning, carbon monoxide

What's Your Take? Comment Now ...

Featured Careers & Jobs in EMS





 

Get JEMS in Your Inbox

 

Fire EMS Blogs


Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

 

EMS Airway Clinic

Simulation-Based Assessment Facilitates Learning & Enhances Clinical Judgment

Simulation is an educational tool that can be used to develop and refine clinical skills of the student in a controlled environment before they progress to becoming practicing clinicians.
More >

Multimedia Thumb

Buffalo Medics, Firefighter Keep Working in Crash

Rural Metro medics describe crash that overturned their ambulance.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Drone Delays Landing of Ohio Medical Helicopter

Miami Valley Hospital incident raises questions over legalities of drones.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Four Killed in New Mexico Medical Plane Crash

Crash near fairgrounds claims patient and crew of three.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Texas Ambulance Involved in Crash

Odessa ambulance and car collide during response.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Building Explosion, Collapse in Paris Suburb

Death toll rises to eight after blast in Rosny-sous-Bois.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

New Mexico Air Ambulance Crash

NTSB investigates crash that killed four.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Where in the World of EMS is A.J.? Scranton

JEMS Editor-in-Chief visits his hometown of Scranton, Pa.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

The AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher Conversion Kit - EMS Today 2013

AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher all-hazards preparedness & response tool
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Field Bridge Xpress ePCR on iPad, Android, Kindle Fire

Sneak peek of customizable run forms & more.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

LMA MAD Nasal™

Needle-free intranasal drug delivery.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

VividTrac offered by Vivid Medical - EMS Today 2013

VividTrac, affordable high performance video intubation device.
Watch It >


More Product Videos >