Editor's Note: There is no word yet on the specific EMS certification of the driver. Once known we will update our story.
STILLWATER, N.J. - Two people are dead after a fatal fire and accident in Sussex County.
The Star-Ledger is reporting that the driver of an ambulance has died after his vehicle left the roadway and crashed while transporting a burn victim from the house fire to the hospital. The patient and other crew members survived the crash.
Authorities report that a fire on Potters Road in Stillwater killed one person and injured another. A New Jersey State Police spokesman reported that the injured person was being transported when the driver of the ambulance suffered a “medical issue”.
The patient was transferred to another ambulance and taken to the hospital. The driver of the ambulance was pronounced dead on the scene.
The fire, which started before dawn, is considered suspicious and is under investigation.
- The Star-Ledger: Ambulance driver dies as he leaves suspicious fatal Sussex County fire
- MyFoxNY: Ambulance crashes racing to hospital
- WABC: Ambulance crashes leaving scene of deadly fire
- New Jersey Herald: One dead in Stillwater house fire
- Firegeezer: UPDATED: Ambulance Crash Leaves Driver Dead
- STATter911: Driver of ambulance dead. Crash occurred transporting burn victim from fatal fire in Sussex County, NJ.