Michigan Girl Severely Burned In Fire Pit Accident - News - @ JEMS.com


Michigan Girl Severely Burned In Fire Pit Accident

6-year-old Lenox Township girl is reported to be in critical condition at Children's Hospital of Michigan.


 
 

WDIV | | Tuesday, September 21, 2010


LENOX TOWNSHIP, Mich. -- A 6-year-old Lenox Township girl is reported to be in critical condition at Children's Hospital of Michigan after suffering burns in a fire pit accident.

Macomb County sheriff's investigators say the girl was with her 40-year-old father at a commons area of the mobile home park where they lived.

They were with a group of as many as 40 people gathered near a fire pit Sunday evening.

Macomb County Sheriff Mark Hackel said the father attempted to increase the flames.

"The fire wasn't large enough so he decided to use some kind of accelerant on the actual fire. She somehow was doused with that chemical as it was being exposed to the flames," Hackel said.

Nearby neighbors moved quickly to help. Mike Foust was among those using their own shirts and chair cushions to smother the flames.

"She was in flames and I tried to jump on top of her and my friend came over with a blanket. There was a hose on the ground. I grabbed the hose and started to hose down her legs," Foust said.

The girl was burned over her entire body and remained conscious and screaming. Neighbor Kathy Pomeroy said the girl's father was also burned and tried to comfort her.

"He was right there, right by her, very hysterical," Pomeroy said.

The father is being treated for his burns at Mount Clemens General Hospital, where his injuries are described as non-life-threatening.

Sheriff Hackel said his department is investigating.

"The question is, is there any criminal act? Is there something here as far as negligence? We're looking at every aspect of this. In other words, we don't believe the father did this intentionally, however, we are going to investigate it," Hackel said.

Hackel said he could not confirm that the accelerant used at the fire pit was gasoline. He said investigators are examining fluid found in a red can at the scene.




Connect: Have a thought or feedback about this? Add your comment now
Related Topics: News, children, burns

What's Your Take? Comment Now ...

Buyer's Guide Featured Companies

Featured Careers & Jobs in EMS

Get JEMS in Your Inbox

 

Fire EMS Blogs


Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

 

EMS Airway Clinic

Improving Survival from Cardiac Arrest Using ACD-CPR + ITD

Using active compression-decompression CPR with an ITD has been shown to improve 1-year survival from cardiac arrest by 33%.
More >

Multimedia Thumb

Tempe’s Drug Dilemma

Dealing with overdoses.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

I’m a Paramedic

Profile of a Northshore LIJ medic.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Riding with Busy Welsh Ambulances

EMS crews struggle under mounting pressures.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Albuquerque Unveils New Rescue Unit

Mayor and residents celebrate new ambulance.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Nightwatch Series Premiere Party

JEMS Editor-in-Chief A.J. Heightman attends the series premiere of A&E's new reality show, "Nightwatch."
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Ottawa Chemical Investigation

Chemicals and suspicious package are probed at two locations
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Cincinnati Overpass Collapse

Fatal pancake collapse occurs during demolition.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Braun Ambulances' EZ Door Forward

Helps to create a safer ambulance module.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

The AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher Conversion Kit - EMS Today 2013

AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher all-hazards preparedness & response tool
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

LMA MAD Nasal™

Needle-free intranasal drug delivery.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

VividTrac offered by Vivid Medical - EMS Today 2013

VividTrac, affordable high performance video intubation device.
Watch It >


More Product Videos >