On Friday, Sept. 20, from 2 pm to 3 pm, Masimo will present a public awareness event to honor fallen firefighters, acknowledge the work of the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation, and educate employees and the public about the job-related risks that firefighters face at its World Headquarters at 40 Parker, Irvine, Calif., 92618. EMS and fire personnel are invited to attend.
The Orange County Fire Authority (OCFA) will be giving a presentation to Masimo employees about the services and resources they provide in their service area and give attendees and Masimo employees an insight into the duties and risks associated with the fire service. Apparatus will be on display and personnel from the OCFA will present a demonstrations of how firefighter rehab is performed at incident scenes to help ensure firefighters remain safe and healthy.
Chief Ron Siarnicki, Executive Director of the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation will be present and discuss efforts to prevent firefighter line of duty deaths (LODDs) and improve health and safety, as well as assistance provided to families of fallen firefighters. A local family who has been impacted by an LODD will also be on hand to address the audience about their personal experience and involvement with the NFFF.
The program will point out that carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, often referred to as the “silent killer”, is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in the U.S. each year and that most CO-related deaths and hospital emergency department visits occur during fall and winter, two seasons that will soon be upon us. When three house painters fired up their gas-powered compressor in a Southern California home last year, they didn’t realize the tool they used to earn their livelihood would kill them. The “silent killer” season is upon us.
Also featured at the Masimo event:
- The latest technologies and techniques used to detect and combat CO poisoning in the home and body
- CO poisoning survivors who have benefited from EMS and fire service reponse and Masimo CO detection and assessment technology; and
- A special appearance by Randolph Mantooth, who starred as LA County paramedic/firefighter Johnny Gage on TV’s “EMERGENCY!”. Mantooth is a proponent for CO detection in the prehospital setting.
Important CO facts:
- CO poisoning damages the heart and heart attacks are the leading cause of death among firefighters;
- U.S. Census data shows that 74% of California housing uses some form of fossil fuel burning heating, which can generate carbon monoxide;
- Initial symptoms of CO poisoning often mimic the flu -- including headaches, dizziness, and nausea -- and are often misdiagnosed;
- When undetected, CO poisoning can lead to severe heart and brain damage or death.
- It is possible to have CO poisoning without exhibiting any outward signs and symptoms, which underscores the importance of testing everyone, every time there is the potential for CO exposure.
- The only safe way to detect CO in a home is with working carbon monoxide alarms. Carbon monoxide alarms should be installed on every level of a home and near sleeping areas to help keep families safe.
For more information, contact:
EMS Marketing Specialist
Direct Phone: 949-297-7063