Maryland Firefighters Canvass Neighborhood after Deaths - News - @ JEMS.com


Maryland Firefighters Canvass Neighborhood after Deaths

Five people died from carbon monoxide poisoning in Oxon Hill community.

 

 
 
 

ERIC TUCKER, Associated Press | | Wednesday, April 25, 2012


OXON HILL, Md. (AP) — A supermarket bakery employee, her husband and three others were found dead inside a suburban Washington home Tuesday of suspected carbon monoxide poisoning, rattling a close-knit community of immigrant churchgoers who wept, hugged and comforted each other outside.

Five Dead in Maryland Carbon Monoxide Incident

Fire officials blamed the deaths on a broken exhaust pipe that pumped carbon monoxide back into the home.

Two of the dead were discovered by a relative who went to the home Tuesday morning, concerned for his family's welfare. The other three were found soon after by firefighters who measured levels of carbon monoxide so high as to lead to death within mere hours, said Mark Brady, a spokesman for the Prince George's County fire department. A dog also was removed from the home on oxygen support.

The victims, all adults who lived in the one-story brick home in the suburb of Oxon Hill, are a husband, a wife, her sister and two boarders. Neighbors had last seen them Monday evening. At least some of them were originally from El Salvador.

Officials identified the victims as: Oscar Chavez, 57; his wife, Sonia Chavez, 54; her sister, Nora N. Leiva, 57, of Chicago; Francisco Javier Gomez Segovia of Fairfax, Va., 33, and Nelson Enrique Landaverde Alas, 44.

Authorities said the investigation was centering on a broken exhaust pipe that showed signs of significant wear and tear, including holes that appeared capable of letting unhealthy levels of carbon monoxide seep back into the home instead of ventilating it back into the atmosphere. A recent cold snap might have accounted for the furnace being operational, Brady said.

Firefighters detected extraordinarily high levels of carbon monoxide in the home, Brady added. A normal carbon monoxide reading is 0 to 5 parts per million and the reading taken at the home measured as high as 550 parts per million. No carbon monoxide detector was found at the house, the only way to be alerted to the odorless gas.

"Someone exposed to CO at that high a level could succumb probably within a couple of hours," Brady said.

Public records indicated that Sonia M. Chavez and Oscar A. Chavez lived in the home, which was built in 1955 and purchased by the woman in 2010. Oscar Chavez's son told reporters that he found the bodies after arriving at the couple's home Tuesday.

Members of the victims' close-knit Spanish-speaking Pentecostal church embraced each other and Chavez's son as they stood behind yellow police tape. One woman, who would not give her name, said she took comfort that the victims were with God.

Jose Rosales, who is from El Salvador and who was among those at the scene Tuesday, said several of the victims were active in the same church. Oscar Chavez was a church leader, Sonia Chavez worked with children, and a third victim, Nelson Landaverde, performed music for the congregation.

"I didn't believe it. I said, 'I have to see,'" Rosales said of a phone call telling him about the deaths. "I had no explanation of how this all happened. I came here to find out."

Ramon Nunoz, who lives across the street, said the married couple was originally from El Salvador and the man worked in construction.

"They were good people. I'm very sad that this happened," Nunoz said.

Ruben Rodriguez, a Washington Gas spokesman, said firefighters shut off natural gas service to the home Tuesday. Washington Gas will conduct its own investigation of the gas meter and gas lines, Rodriguez said.

Giant Food, where Sonia Chavez worked, issued a statement: "We are deeply saddened to learn of the death of Sonia Chavez, a long-time Giant associate who worked in the bakery at our Eastover, Md. store for nearly ten years. "

The statement added: "Our thoughts and prayers are with Sonia's family and friends during this difficult time. We are currently communicating this tragic news to Sonia's co-workers and will offer grief counseling to associates who may need additional support."

____

Associated Press writer Ben Nuckols contributed to this report from Washington.



Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.


Connect: Have a thought or feedback about this? Add your comment now
Related Topics: News, carbon monoxide poisoning

 
What's Your Take? Comment Now ...

Buyer's Guide Featured Companies

Featured Careers & Jobs in EMS

Get JEMS in Your Inbox

 

Fire EMS Blogs


Blogger Browser

Today's Featured Posts

 

EMS Airway Clinic

Improving Survival from Cardiac Arrest Using ACD-CPR + ITD

Using active compression-decompression CPR with an ITD has been shown to improve 1-year survival from cardiac arrest by 33%.
More >

Multimedia Thumb

Philadelphia Fire Department Apologizes for Medic’s Jab at Police

Union head calls photos a slap in the face of officers.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

D.C. Fire and EMS Crews Blame New Technology for Patient’s Death

Delayed response blamed on recurring dispatch problems.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Suspect Steals, Crashes Maryland Ambulance

One killed, others injured in Prince George’s County crash.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Tennessee Trench Rescue

Worker pulled from Roane County worksite.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Time’s Ebola Firefighters

Doctors, nurses and others saluted for fighting virus.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

Car Strikes Manhattan Pedestrians

Seven people hurt when car jumps curb.
More >


Multimedia Thumb

LMA MAD Nasal™

Needle-free intranasal drug delivery.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

Braun Ambulances' EZ Door Forward

Helps to create a safer ambulance module.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

VividTrac offered by Vivid Medical - EMS Today 2013

VividTrac, affordable high performance video intubation device.
Watch It >


Multimedia Thumb

The AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher Conversion Kit - EMS Today 2013

AmbuBus®, Bus Stretcher all-hazards preparedness & response tool
Watch It >


More Product Videos >